Process or wait?

I think the worst part of it is when they are chicks and have to be inside in a brooder. I am thinking about moving the brooder to the chicken house and adding another light. I can't start them in the basement anymore. Just smells too bad until they feather out.

Once they were able to go outside it was easy. Just keep the feeder and waterer full and they were good to go. This only my second round of cornish x. It went much better than the first batch. Really excited about my next one.

Darin

There is a Halal Meat slaughter house in Siler City, NC. About 20 minutes from my house. They have a new poultry processing facility. Chaudhry Halal Meats is the name of the place.

"Chaudhry Halal Meats, an independent slaughterhouse that caters to local, small farmers in the Chatham County area. Opened 10 years ago, by Abdul Chaudhry, a Pakistani immigrant, as a red meat, lamb,goat,cattle, etc, slaughtering facility, it has recently expanded to include a brand new poultry processing facility."

I just call and make an appointment and they give me a time to have my chickens up there. I have to be there at 0700 on Monday. I can wait and get my chickens then or they will freeze them and I can pick them up later. They will put them in vacuum sealed bags and label them with the weight and date of slaughter. I get them to leave mine whole. I just ask them to put all the livers in a separate container. They will also cut the bird up any way you desire.

It is very convenient for me. I can process them myself but it is just easier and less mess to pay them to do it.

Siler City was once the home of a Townsend chicken procession plant. They closed this year. You could go at the shift change and recruit a worker to process your birds on his/her own time. They would generally do it for a couple of dollars per bird, depending on how many you had. Those days are long gone.

Darin

Darin, what was the cost per bird @ Chaudhry when you went? I was thing of using them...

I think I paid $4 a bird. I had them left whole. I think they charge another $1 to cut them up.
But when you get them back they are labeled and are frozen in a vacuum sealed bag. I think it is well worth the money.

You can call and they will be happy to give you prices. You need to call a couple of weeks ahead because if they don't have enough they won't process. And they fill up. I call early and get the first drop off time.

I just got 16 more meaties yesterday and more on the way. Will call them in about 6-7 weeks to set up a processing time.

If you have anymore questions you can send me a pm and I will be happy to tell you more about it.

Darin

Back
Top Bottom