Processed 3 ducklings,4 mo and it was different

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chooniecat, Nov 12, 2013.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    They were mutts from unexpected hatch and given as I don't trust people enough to "rehome" them we processed. I had never cooked duck before and it turned out ok after the 2nd attempt but the processing was gross. They had glands on their tails that I THOUGHT were part of the "drake" feathers but looking up diagrams it now looks like a "preening" gland???? Had thick yellow ooze coming out. ICH! Does anyone know what that is definitively?

2. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Preening gland. Officially known as the Uropygial gland, I think. Some duck folk will correct me if I'm wrong.

3. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    TY. It was such a gross substance involved I figured it was a "scent gland" type thing given as they were all drakes. Learning!

4. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Chickens have the same thing, and you have to remove it or it makes the meat taste bad.......I would assume the same holds true for ducks.

5. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    Eewwwwwwwwww. Will have to pay more attention with next chicken I do. Have never noticed on them. Probably smaller/in a different location? I learn everyday. I generally skin the chickens we've eaten so thats probably why I haven't seen them.

6. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    I usually just cut the whole tail off.....problem solved.[​IMG]

7. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Yup, I just cut the whole tail off too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by