Processed it, now don't want to eat it.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by momofchicks, Jul 29, 2008.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    [​IMG] So we processed two of our Roosters now I just can't make myself cook it and eat it. What if it's bad, would we have known during the processing? Will it make us sick? I'm a little scared. Did any of you feel this way? I know my husband is going to make me cook it by next week, but I don't know if I can eat it. Please help!!

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Don't be scared - make SOUP! I'm sure you did fine but I know what you mean. So make soup - it'll be wonderful and if you don't want to eat the meat, you can pick it out.

If it was bad you'd know it - ever get bad meat at the store? It's green and icky. I'm sure your roos are not; it's just getting past the "pet" factor. Start with soup - that's what I do!

You'll be fine [​IMG]

3. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    I processed mine on a Sunday. I was ok cutting and packing when I got home. I even put a whole one in the oven to roast. It took me a few days to try bits of breast meat. By the end of the week, I boiled down the roast for soup. I was able to consume the soup with lots of chicken. By the following Sunday, I brought some to my family for the grill. I was finally able to eat some meat off the bone. It probably will take awhile for you, hopefully DH will give you the time you need. As far as safety/birds making you sick...how old were the roos? We're they healthy? Did you maintain sanitary conditions?

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    If you raised it, and know everything that went into it, then why would it be bad? Am I missing something? Just remember, you trust yourself to the meat other people raise all the time. Shouldn't you be more worried about THAT meat than your own?

My experiencing with eating our roosters was heavenly. The flavor was so good, the texture slightly chewy, but it was to be expected. These weren't factory farmed chickens, these were OUR chickens.

Give yourself the credit for all this hard work and ENJOY [​IMG]

5. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    You can do it. Try a big crockpot with one chicken and some water. I am sure that it is fine and once you smell that good chicken smell your fears will go away.

Not that I have been in your position but just adding my 2 cents.

I worked with a person who could not eat chicken that was still on the bone, it freaked her out. She would not even be able to think about processing a bird, at least I can think about it as a future event for me.

Let us know what happens.

6. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Freeze it and let the emotions of the whole process pass. Last year I had a similar experience with a deer, didn't want to eat it after processing it, but after a few months I had some nice stews and never gave it a second thought.

7. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    I agree with the freezing idea. Maybe the emotions are just too fresh right now. If a few weeks though, you will be wondering what you should make for dinner, and you will remember the fantastic home grown chicken in your freezer and you will be so happy to cook it, it'll surprise you!!!!!

We didnt have issues with our meat birds, but it did take my DH a month to willingly try one of our hen's eggs. [​IMG] He was just weirded out by it, but now he inhales them and he scoffs at store bought. Just give yourself a little time and you will come around [​IMG] .

8. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I guess I've just been desensitized to the whole blood and guts thing hunting for years and whatever. The thing is like dangerouschicken said, you know what went into it, you know how it acted when it was alive, good stuff like that. I bet 95% of the time, you would never eat the food you bought in a supermarket if you saw how it was grown, raised, delivered, or prepared.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    If you buy chicken from the grocery store you don't know if it got dropped on the floor before being rinsed and packaged, but you still eat it.

When you eat out you have no idea what that burger/steak/fish etc. was subjected to, yet you still eat it without any worry.

At least with your own you know what happened to the meat during processing, the conditions it was processed in, and even that it was treated humanely.

I'd much rather know how my food was treated, processed and prepared. [​IMG]

10. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Soup is a good idea, btw. That bird will tender right up and flavor your meal like you wouldn't believe. The nice thing about roosters, too, is that they live a little longer, and the flavors are more "present" than 7 or 8 week factory chickens. I swear, you have never really tasted chicken until you have tasted homegrown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by