Processed my first duck, WHAT A PAIN!

kooltex

Songster
10 Years
Oct 15, 2009
NE Tx
The ducks are exactly 7 weeks 2 days, from what I've read that is a good age to process because the pin feathers are at a minimum, BS!!!! There were pin feathers all over the place! I ended up skinning it, which was difficult as well. There wasn't very much meat either, seemed hardly worth all the effort, and this was one of the larger Pekins of the group. So I'm not going to process anymore until they are 12 weeks, and I think a plucker is a must. That was not a very good first experience.

Ya, ducks really suck. Mine are 3 weeks or so and I'm totally not looking forward to processing them. Even with a plucker you do a LOT of fine tuning to make it a marketable or eatable bird.

Let me know how it taste, I'm not a duck fan but I also have some pekins from Ideal.

Mine are from Ideal as well. It wouldn't have been so bad if the pin feathers weren't so numerous. I had it almost completely plucked, but the stinkin' little pin feathers were everywhere! I just said forget it, It would have taken all day to get them off. I'm stewing the duck for gumbo, there just wasn't enough meat for anything else. The breast was pathetic. Poor little thing was all feathers. I sure hope a plucker helps too, or ducks will no longer be on the menu, too much work. Even skinning the thing, the tender meat would tear with the skin. I had to use a sharp knife and slice along the edge, it was a real pain! Poor thing better taste good, I've never eaten duck,but it does smell good simmering away in the pot. I'll try again in 4 weeks, if the next one turns out the same, the rest of the little quackers will have a lucky day.

What about waxing? Does that really work better?

Last edited:
I haven't tried waxing but I too would like to know the answer to that question. I know how bad they are, I did two of them in November and they were just god awful to pluck. It's like you need a pair of tweezers to get them all out.

Yeah, I would have been tweezing all DAY! Pain! I think I will try waxing the next one, hell its worth a shot.

A good, affordable duck wax is necessary to produce a marketable carcass in an efficient manner.

If you look at a commercially produced duck, such as from Maple Leaf Farms, a six pound holiday package at $2.48 a pound in Wal*Mart will only yield a 4.7 pound carcass. Over one-half pound is an orange sauce, with the neck, heart, liver and gizard taking up another one-half pound.

A five to six pound pekin duck carcass should produce about 12 ounces of rendered duck fat. Considering that rendered duck fat sells for about $10 a pound, you are slighting your customers if you skin the duck. This rendered fat can be used to fry potatoes and vegetables, and imparts a wonderful falvor. Keep in mind, also, duck sauces help sell the duck. With a roasted or sauted duck, the crispy skin and meat can be dipped in a simple sauce made from equal parts of jam (peach, apricot, plum, etc.) and ginger ale, along with a dash of ginger and garlic.

Back
Top Bottom