Processed the first Turkey Yesterday

al6517

Real Men can Cook
11 Years
May 13, 2008
I processed our first Turkey of the year yesterday, and it was a good day. We have 5 Turkeys that we have been raising since the end of May, 3 BB white hens and 2 BB white Toms. I had some extra time on my hands that day and as I sat in the chicken run sipping a cold one, I thought lets just go ahead and get the practice in for the Thanksgiving day Tom.
I must say after reading many post's about the big day, I was a little apprehensive about the quality of the outcome. So I gathered up my stuff and set up real quick, got the large pot fired up and grabbed another cold one. I was just about to go in the pen to pick a bird when my teenage daughter gets off the bus and strolls back to barn and asked, Dad what are you doing ?. I seized the opportunity to ask for her help which she promply replied NO, until I asked her if she would mind shooting the video, that changed her mind, I am sooo goood hehe.
Anyway I chose what i thought was the smallest bird estimating it's weight before catching it at about 12 lbs, once I grabbed it's legs and lifted i knew then that I was mistaken, it was really heavy.
I tied it's legs with bailing wire, put it on the chopping block and made the first wack, I say the first wack hell it took 4 good swats to finally get it done, the huge bird wrestling the whole time. the neck was the size of my arm, I then hung it to bleed out while the water got up to temp, my unfazed daughter commentating on video the whole while. next I dipped the beast into 30 gal pot for about 3 min and pulled it out, hosed it down to cool the meat and most of the feathers had mostly came off, in about 2 more minutes of plucking it was done, I began to cut and process, and i could not believe how easy it went in another 3 minutes, the neck and giblets were packed into the cavity and i was on my way to the house.
with the bird in the sink and some minor touching up just to make it Puuuurdy, i stood back in wonder of this fantastic looking bird, with the ease and speed in which it was done. I put it on the scale only to find out that it dressed out at 26 lbs table weight.
it is now in the fridge to age for 3 day's before I make my wife a great birthday bird for her on Sunday. My next problem is i seriously don't know how in the world I am going to fit the big Tom in the oven in a month he is already at 45 lbs.

Moral of the story :
don't be intimidated, it is not that bad, very rewarding, grin grin.

Thanks for your time
AL

mmm sounds good!

Now slow cook that 45lb tom reall long. Did my ~40lb, 30 dressed, turkey in the oven for 6 hours at 325F... after sitting at temp for 4 hours... still wasn't quite done by the bones. LOL Sure was tasty!

Awesome job, Al!
~ My suggestion for that hugo-mongo turkey ~ we have one of those BIGGGG roasters ( they carry them at WalMart for about $20), sorta like a giant crock pot. Now I have never done a turkley in the oven again, once I got this roaster, since it's so easy to use. AND, the biggest turkey I ever fit in there ( with a tiny bit of room to spare) was a gi-normous feller weighing in around 37.8 lbs ~ had to cook him up for the family on Thanksgiving, we have over 30 folks, so there was just enough left over for sandwiches & soup at the end. But I tell yah, that roaster can do the job, plus, it sets up right on your counter, so you don't have to bend over, & try to get the smarmy thing out on a shaky rack to baste it every few hours, either. Just a thought ~ :-D
~Red

That would be a nesco roaster best investment ever, I have a big one and a small one. And if I am putting on a feed I can get at least 6 ot 8 more from my sister down the road. Love them.

Please can I ask what a BB white is. As I am not to up on the breeds of turkey's but would like to get some for next year.

Thank you.

Quote:
I have been thinking of getting one of these, but do not know anybody who own's or uses one, tell me more. did it really fit a 37 lber ?, and i like to make those better than TV looking turkeys, I really dote over it until it is absolutely perfect. what kind of color did you get from useing it ?, and does it take any longer ?, I really like the idea of being able to cook it on the countertop. What about the juice and gravy can it handle alot of that also ?.

Thanks for your help
AL

BB white is a broad breasted white. It is a commercial type that they use for store birds. Ready to eat at 4-5 months. Just like the BB Bronze but harder to keep looking clean! But no black pin feathers or spots likea BB Bronze can leave.

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on the Nesco roaster, I am headed to the store today. A BB white is known as a Broad Breasted white, these are the breeds the supermarket sells, it is the turkey version of the cornish X chicken. they grow very large and quick, easy to raise, and the white skin and plump huge breast are what most folks are use to eating these past few decades.

AL

thanks for the name of the turkey's.

And your welcome about the roaster's. You won't reget the purchase. I even have the insert that has 3 dividers in it. That way I can keep my hot dishes hot in the buffet line. I use mine just about every day. My little one will be holding a dorking roo for tonights dinner.

Quote:
Now this wasnt the FIRST cold one of the day was it?

HA HA LOL LOL.
You got me on that one, I like to sit in the coop with a few cold ones, helps the day unwind. if I would have had 1 less we would not be talking Turkey right now hehe.
Kudo's to you
AL

Back
Top Bottom