1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

processing / butchering Chickens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SallyinIndiana, Nov 20, 2012.

1. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I want to get some chickens to raise as meat. However I would like to pay to have them butchered and processed. Does anyone know of a processing place in central Indiana?

2. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    Butchering is not a big deal. Start small--I did 8, then 19. The fast growing Cornish are not really that loveable, and going to die of heart failure or such anyhow. I did a few of the bigger ones, and a few more days or a week later. I plan on 3 batches of 20 or so next season, butchering 10 a day. It is all part of a independent and cheapscate lifestyle.

3. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I appreciate that you can do it, but I can not. If you lived closer I would gladly bring my birds to you when they were ready. I have tried to clean a chicken and I don't have the stomach or nose for it. However raising them is fun and I would like to get fresh meat. I really hope someone out there can help me find a place or farm that will do the killing and butchering part.

4. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
  5. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by