1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Processing chicken vs turkey

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DianeS, Dec 1, 2010.

1. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm wondering if there are any differences between processing a chicken (which I've done) and processing a turkey (which I haven't).

I imagine the butchering is about the same, but what about plucking? Scalding? Does the same scalding water temp work for turkeys as for chickens? Are turkey feathers any harder to remove?

There are some turkeys available on craigslist that I'm considering buying, so any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. 2pinkmom

2pinkmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    There is a lot more blood. Or so it seemed that way. I helped out at a processing party before Thanksgiving. I don't mind being on the kill station, but I was secretly thrilled I was not this time when I saw how those guys looked. They could have been extras in a B-rated horror movie! The turkeys were also stronger than chickens and fought hard before going down.

3. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I stopped scalding years ago and don't miss it at all. I only cleaned one turkey, ever and I was full of hostility and vengence at the time, so plucking his feathers were almost a pleasure.
    From memory, I would say that there was less pin feathers to the finished bird and the feathers were much firmer. The wing feathers, however did require a pair of plyers.
    I have a contact, locally with turkeys and I might consider raising some, just for slaughter, because they are such big meat birds, but really I don't not care to keep turkeys. They just too mean, stupid and ugly for me......for the most part, that is. Give it a try. Its the same, only bigger.

4. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    I hae plucked many wild turkeys dry, it wasn't bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by