Processing chickens by throat cutting

Convulsions are part of dying, it's going to happen no matter how you kill them.

This.

I use the broomstick method and I found it easier once I realized that the really STRONG spasms came from the birds where I'd gotten the fastest, cleanest, easiest kills.

If you think of it as a signal that the kill was fast and merciful it helps.

Can you explain the broomstick method?

It's a form of cervical dislocation where you put a broomstick (or axe handle or some like object), over the chicken's neck just at the base of the skull, stand FIRMLY on the stick (hold it in the notch between your bootheels and the soles), hold the bird's ankles to stretch him out fully, then give a sharp jerk to achieve the cervical dislocation.

Some people stun the bird first. I don't because I haven't figured out a good way to do it within my physical limitations. I just calm the bird and work quickly.

The trick is getting the correct strength in the pull. Not strong enough doesn't accomplish the kill and upsets both you and the bird. Too strong and the head comes off -- which isn't necessarily bad, but is messy.

You'll need to continue to hold the ankles firmly because the flapping is powerful but the spasms don't last long. The blood will drain into the skin of the neck in the gap where the break of the spine is -- making it easy to dispose of when you cut off the head afterward (I just let everything drop into a trash can).

Unfortunately, it's easier demonstrated than explained.

Can you explain the broomstick method?

Unfortunately, it's easier demonstrated than explained.
Cervical Dislocation is shown in this video at about 1:00,

Click the 'Watch this video on YouTube'

it's the only CD video I've found that doesn't remove the head.

-Notice the slight divot in the ground under the stick and neck, this will keep the bird from being choked.

-Notice that she slowly stretches out the neck and legs before giving the short sharp jerk that breaks the neck close to the skull, this is key to success IMO.

I've found this technique to be very effective.

Cervical Dislocation is shown in this video at about 1:00,

Click the 'Watch this video on YouTube'

it's the only CD video I've found that doesn't remove the head.

-Notice the slight divot in the ground under the stick and neck, this will keep the bird from being choked.

-Notice that she slowly stretches out the neck and legs before giving the short sharp jerk that breaks the neck close to the skull, this is key to success IMO.

I've found this technique to be very effective.
Thanks for the video. Very informative. We’ve had a hopper popper on order for quite a while for cervical dislocation of mostly rabbits but we can use it on chickens as well. Same concept. Looks like it’s an old school method of dispatch.

Back
Top Bottom