Processing Chickens - How Long Does it Take You

Thanks everyone.

I bought some old-school razor blades (the kind your dad (maybe mom) put in those roof-opening holders) thinking they would help but they did not work out well. I agree, a good sharp knife is best.

It all depends on your methods, the type of chicken, your equipment, etc. I don't have to setup anything as my killing cone just stays tacked to a tree all the time and I process on our picnic table, which is also already in place. I don't pluck, so no boiling water needed. My equipment to get ready consists of sharpening my knives, grabbing a large pan to hold carcasses, filling a couple of buckets with water for rinsing and sluicing the work site~ one with soap, bleach and a clean rag for that purpose.

I save the fine detailing of the carcass for when I get back in the house, so final rinse and pick done in the kitchen. I never really timed each bird, so can't give you an accurate time frame but I can tell you that it gets quicker with time and practice....but I can also tell you that when you get into a big hurry, accidents can happen, especially when dealing with sharp knives.

It's not a race, so take your time, do it right, perfect your technique as you go along....that never really stops, I'm still refining my technique after 40 yrs of doing this.

Back
Top Bottom