Processing Costs?

Gus Powell

Hatching
Sep 30, 2019
I am raising meat birds for a school project and they are a few weeks out from needing to being processed. I don't know about about how processing works. Where can I take my chickens to be processed? I am only raising 4 chickens. Also, how much does it usually cost to have them processed? Thanks

Welcome!
Processing costs vary a lot, depending on where you live and who's doing it. A backyard person who does a few extra birds every year may be very inexpensive, as in $2, while a business that's inspected might charge $5 or so.
You need to find who's available within reasonable driving distance, and how well they do things. Or, find someone experienced, and ask to help, and learn how yourself.
Mary

Better start looking now and call some, many of them close down for the winter.

We paid $2 each to one, but we had to drive an hour and the place was terrifying. That's not typical though.

I've paid $10 a bird before. They were an hour away. In my area it's very difficult to find someone to do poultry.

If I could pay $2 each for someone else to do it I'd be raising a lot more meat birds!

I just looked into processing in my area a few weeks ago and realized it's cheaper to just do it myself. It was $5 per bird... And it's hard to find someone who processes them.

I mean, I don't begrudge them the cost. Building and equipment and employees and inspection all cost money, and they're providing a service. I'd like to open a butcher shop myself.

Back
Top Bottom