Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Dang we just got a fold up table, argh. But we have close to 17 Jersey Giants to process Friday so we need the table. Ending our Jersey line because they grow slowly and they are not show quality and they started egg eating. It will be nice to have only 2 coops to tend and we have only 2 water heaters.
3NH, How big and how old are your Giants??

Deboned a 14 lb turkey today and have ballantined it, filling it with potatoes and onions instead of dressing/stuffing per son's request. Tomorrow is our official turkey day when most of the family will be here and there will be a 22 lb turkey cooked the traditional way. The house smells fabulous and we are watching Duck Dynasty out takes and sermons on YouTube. One son just left for the tree stand with his bow, hope he sees a buck today...if he sees it, it will most assuredly die.

Hope you all are having a blessed, warm and joyful day of thanksgiving!
hugs.gif

Deboned a 14 lb turkey today and have ballantined it, filling it with potatoes and onions instead of dressing/stuffing per son's request. Tomorrow is our official turkey day when most of the family will be here and there will be a 22 lb turkey cooked the traditional way. The house smells fabulous and we are watching Duck Dynasty out takes and sermons on YouTube. One son just left for the tree stand with his bow, hope he sees a buck today...if he sees it, it will most assuredly die.

Hope you all are having a blessed, warm and joyful day of thanksgiving!
hugs.gif
does anyone else read these posts and want a cookbook called "cooking with beekissed"?

i hope he gets a deer, there's nothing better than watching "Duck Dynasty" and eating some tenderloin cooked in butter and garlic.

i cook the same way, a while back someone asked how to make homemade chicken noodles. i gave them "my instructions" but we feed a small army here. when the day comes that DW and i cook for ourselves, we are going to be lost.

gig.gif
It would be a thin book...I've got 14 recipes in my recipe box. The rest of what we cook has no recipes whatsoever. Dash of this, pinch of that, season to taste, plain food that tastes good. It would be more like a pamphlet.
lol.png
I make things out of my head and never use a measure, too. My family will ask for the recipe and I will say a hand full of this or splash of that or "enough" of something else and they just roll thier eyes at me in exacerbation at me.

OK guys, I'm doing a turkey today, probably in just a few minutes. Ever since I did my first rooster a few months ago and found it not that bad, I never figured I'd need this thread. But I'm kinda freaking out- I don't even know why, exactly- and I just need someone to tell me it's gonna be OK and give me a virtual hug.
hide.gif

I can't even figure out why I'm freaking out, I only bought the bird yesterday. I've had the four roosters I've done so far their entire lives, save the first couple days during shipping from the hatchery. I can't explain why I'm so nervous, I mean I know how to do it and all, and I've made sure to keep as far from the turkey as possible, but it's just... those noises she makes and.... I just don't know... she's so sweet and innocent... and my mom freaking out isn 't helping...

Oh, boy. There isn't much anyone can say at this point but to give you the virtual hug you so badly need and to tell you approach it like you would cleaning the toilet...don't think about how it looks, sounds or smells..just get it done before you have to linger over it too long or thinking about it too long keeps you from completing the task.

hugs.gif
There! Now...get 'er done!
highfive.gif

I make things out of my head and never use a measure, too. My family will ask for the recipe and I will say a hand full of this or splash of that or "enough" of something else and they just roll thier eyes at me in exacerbation at me.

lol.png
Same here! Like our recipe for jerky that isn't really a recipe...it's just a "feeling" for a recipe. A certain level of smell to the spices, a certain look to the meat, a certain texture to the meat....just more of a feeling than a written down fact.

Alright, thank you very much for the hug. I needed it. I've done her now, and it was a lot like my first rooster- the anticipation and nervousness was really bad, but once it was over and she was dead it was much better. Looking forward to a yummy meal! She ended up weighing a lot more than we expected, 22-23 lbs. with everything out. We figured she was only 20 when she was alive, but clearly she was more.

Back
Top Bottom