Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Quote:
The stick method is for weak people or for very big chickens. The way the want you to do it is to use your hands--that is the traditional way...

What ever way you choose is better than what they do to the ones in the store....

Kudos to you for processing you own!

I can't do it, either. I bought a plucker and gave it to friends who take my cockerels at first crow to their Freezer Camp. When they have a few - they also raise chickens and do some meaties now and then - they process 'em.

I don't name chicks until they're a bit older and I "learn" who they are.... Which means the cockerels don't get named, because they generally crow before then.

I am getting less bothered with attachment but I sure wish more pullets than cockerels hatched - I am really good at hatching boys, under hens or in an incubator.

Sally, I think the only way is to set a date and not allow yourself to back down. If you need help, let us know the date you are sending the birds for processing and we will hold you accountable.

This is not supposed to be easy; taking a life is a solemn thing. For me I do not want to ever get so calloused that I do not feel sad about taking a life. I want my meat chickens to have a lot of good days and one bad day.

My brother, who is a scientist, has a theory of conservation of difficulty. The theory goes that in any situation there is a certain amount of difficulty. You can move the difficulty around, but you cannot eliminate it. For example, anyone who had a computer in the 80's knows how hard it was to use a computer. You had to learn a lot about programming in order to use simple programs. Now computers are pretty simple to use because the designers and programmers have taken the difficulty away from the user and hidden it behind the scenes. So today you can fire up your computer and go directly to your desktop instead of start from the C prompt. To bring this back to chickens, if you are going to eat meat, then there is a certain amount of difficulty in the situation. Factory farms have allowed people to ignore that difficulty by raising chickens in conditions that are horrible and that do not respect the nature of the chicken -- the difficulty has been shifted from the people eating them to the chickens. I see the sadness and discomfort I suffer from killing chickens that I have carefully raised as my taking some of the difficulty on myself.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense.

Ewwww OZ your serious!! that sounds disgusting! How do they make it? what's in it? <gagging>
OMG see we did this when we were kids at home but I was too young, I use to go catch them for dad too, was gross but fun in a way, is that ill or what!

When are you going to learn. I dont sprout waffle LOL

Chicken Dinaguan
The more common version — Pork Dinuguan– requires pork pieces and intestines but this one is a lower fat version using chicken instead. This is great served over steamed rice or steamed rice muffins (puto). It may sound gross, but the dish is not at all unusual. Here’s a little snippet from wikipedia:

Dinuguan ) is a Filipino savory stew of blood and meat (typically stomach, intestines, ears, and snout) simmered in a rich, spicy gravy of pig blood, garlic, chili (most often siling mahaba), and vinegar. The term dinuguan comes from the Filipino word dugo meaning “blood”. It is similar to the Singapore dish pig’s organ soup, differing in that it does not contain vegetables and has a characteristically thick gravy. It is frequently considered an unusual or alarming dish to those in Western culture, though it is rather similar to European-style blood sausage, or British black pudding in a saucy stew form. It is perhaps closer in appearance and preparation to the ancient Spartan dish known as black gruel whose primary ingredients were pork, vinegar and blood. Dinuguan is often served with white rice or a Filipino rice cake called puto.
the chicken one is easier on the eye and better for you
chickendinuguan1.jpg
Ingredients:
  • 500 grams boneless, skinless chicken thighs, sliced in bite size pieces
  • 1/2 cup vinegar
  • salt and pepper
  • 8 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 8 oz chicken blood or pork blood (can be found in freezer section of oriental stores or ask your local butcher)
  • 4 fusimi chilis or jalapeno peppers, cut in three pieces each
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped
  • 2 tbs vegetable oil

Directions:
  1. In a bowl, combine chicken, vinegar, salt and pepper and garlic (reserve 1 tsp for sauteeing). Marinate for one hour.
  2. In a wok or saute pan, heat oil in medium heat. Add onions, garlic and tomatoes and cook until soft. Add chilis.
  3. Add chicken with the marinate and cook in medium heat until boiling. If dry, add about 1/4 cup water and continue cooking. While boiling, add blood and stir. Turn heat to low, continue cooking chicken until thick. Remove from heat. Adjust seasoning by adding salt or pepper as needed. Serve over steamed rice or with steamed rice muffins.

Be Sociable, Share!

Oh Sally, I have no words of wisdom for you. Here's a hug instead
hugs.gif
. I haven't crossed this hurdle myself, and am right now looking up the auctions to figure out how to dump my own roos. I'm sure it will get easier, and no, I don't think you'll even know the difference between Brahma or Cochin once processed and in the freezer. Be strong, sister!!

Quote:
The stick method is for weak people or for very big chickens. The way the want you to do it is to use your hands--that is the traditional way...

What ever way you choose is better than what they do to the ones in the store....

Kudos to you for processing you own!
oh! thank you
hugs.gif
such faith!

I can't do it, either. I bought a plucker and gave it to friends who take my cockerels at first crow to their Freezer Camp. When they have a few - they also raise chickens and do some meaties now and then - they process 'em.

I don't name chicks until they're a bit older and I "learn" who they are.... Which means the cockerels don't get named, because they generally crow before then.

I am getting less bothered with attachment but I sure wish more pullets than cockerels hatched - I am really good at hatching boys, under hens or in an incubator.
I am so glad I am not alone!
I am not a really girly sensitive person either, heck this house is called "MomMoms boot camp"

Do you give the roo outright to them or do they pay you?

Sally, I think the only way is to set a date and not allow yourself to back down. If you need help, let us know the date you are sending the birds for processing and we will hold you accountable.

This is not supposed to be easy; taking a life is a solemn thing. For me I do not want to ever get so calloused that I do not feel sad about taking a life. I want my meat chickens to have a lot of good days and one bad day.

My brother, who is a scientist, has a theory of conservation of difficulty. The theory goes that in any situation there is a certain amount of difficulty. You can move the difficulty around, but you cannot eliminate it. For example, anyone who had a computer in the 80's knows how hard it was to use a computer. You had to learn a lot about programming in order to use simple programs. Now computers are pretty simple to use because the designers and programmers have taken the difficulty away from the user and hidden it behind the scenes. So today you can fire up your computer and go directly to your desktop instead of start from the C prompt. To bring this back to chickens, if you are going to eat meat, then there is a certain amount of difficulty in the situation. Factory farms have allowed people to ignore that difficulty by raising chickens in conditions that are horrible and that do not respect the nature of the chicken -- the difficulty has been shifted from the people eating them to the chickens. I see the sadness and discomfort I suffer from killing chickens that I have carefully raised as my taking some of the difficulty on myself.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense.
WOW your very good with words!

And makes VERY MUCH Sense!

Thank you so much ElkeBeck!
hugs.gif

Now to try to explain that to the kids! I am so worried about my own emotions I need to keep in mind they have their own too!

Oh Sally, I have no words of wisdom for you. Here's a hug instead
hugs.gif
. I haven't crossed this hurdle myself, and am right now looking up the auctions to figure out how to dump my own roos. I'm sure it will get easier, and no, I don't think you'll even know the difference between Brahma or Cochin once processed and in the freezer. Be strong, sister!!
Mich are you ever going to process? Do you want to or just know you cant? I think I can I just need some support and heck I don't know!

Taking a life is no simple thing for sure even having to cull a chick gets my gut in a knot but I can do it if need be.

But then after having them processed the actually eating the chicken may be my bigger issue.

Back
Top Bottom