Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

I ordered a new knife for processing:

41yAHHanOBL._SL1500_.jpg

It is: Morakniv Fishing Comfort Fillet Knife with Sandvik Stainless Steel Blade

I ordered the 3.5" version. It should be here tomorrow.

I'm new to processing. This will be my first try.

This is the butcher station I set up with my limited supplies and funds. I hope this set up works.

What do you think? Scalding pot is my turkey fryer, blue bucket for bleeding out, green container for ice water, double sink for washing. I plan to use a wheel barrel for feathers and guts. Plucking will be done by hand.

I hope the birds fit in the scalding pot. The 3 roosters are huge but the hen isn't.

Can you cook the same day they are butchered or do they need to rest in the fridge first?

I'm new to processing. This will be my first try.

This is the butcher station I set up with my limited supplies and funds. I hope this set up works.

What do you think? Scalding pot is my turkey fryer, blue bucket for bleeding out, green container for ice water, double sink for washing. I plan to use a wheel barrel for feathers and guts. Plucking will be done by hand.

I hope the birds fit in the scalding pot. The 3 roosters are huge but the hen isn't.

Can you cook the same day they are butchered or do they need to rest in the fridge first?

Your set up looks just fine. Good luck with your first time, it can be emotional but it is such a rewarding experience.

Most people will rest a freshly processed bird in the refrigerator for about 3 days to allow rigor to pass. You will know it is ready when you can easily move the leg or wing and it doesn't feel stiff. Some people that are very quick to process can kill gut pluck and clean in only a few mins and pop it right in the oven but you need to be fast because rigor sets in pretty quickly. I suggest the 3 day wait.

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I shall plan on resting them. I wish I had a scale to weigh them, I swear when I picked one up it was close to being 20 pounds.

Just a little worried about the emotions. I shall thank them for providing for our family before I do the deed. I have another older hen that I need to cull. That may be harder since she has a name and has been with me for a few years. I'll give her to a neighbor to cook for dog food, if they want her.

I was ready to wring the neck of one of them yesterday when it attacked me, when I was feeding them. No blood drawn. :)

Thanks for the input. I shall plan on resting them. I wish I had a scale to weigh them, I swear when I picked one up it was close to being 20 pounds.

Just a little worried about the emotions. I shall thank them for providing for our family before I do the deed. I have another older hen that I need to cull. That may be harder since she has a name and has been with me for a few years. I'll give her to a neighbor to cook for dog food, if they want her.

I was ready to wring the neck of one of them yesterday when it attacked me, when I was feeding them. No blood drawn. :)
What breed and how old are they?

To weigh them.... step on your general bathroom scale and mark your weight... then grab one of the birds and weigh yourself again holding the bird (before or after processing)... the difference is the weight of the bird. It isn't as exact as some kitchen scales maybe, but certainly allows you an idea on the weight.

My husband and I place the processed bird into a grocery bag and hang it from a fishing scale, it works well for us, since I don't worry much about an ounce or two +/-.. though I would like to invest in a better kitchen scale at some point.

Back
Top Bottom