Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

When I got my first chicks last year I never imagined I would want to eat my own birds. It took me awhile to eat the eggs! I was appalled when my husband suggested we eat our unwanted Roos. I gave them away instead and didn't want to know what the new owners had tended for them. Now I see the benefit of raising and eating our own birds. I just don't know if I can do it. I am willing to learn though. I wish I could have someone show me. I have a weak stomach and I'm not sure how it would go but I will never know unless I try. Anyone in the Pittsburgh area want to teach me?
Congratulations on deciding to Process your extra Roos!

I am trying something different this time. I am feeding the Cockerels that I am going to process Kamut Scratch soaked in milk for two weeks to see if it fattens them up. They have been eating it since Sunday. I will post the results when I process them. They are White Bresse.

Start with one for the first time.

Here is a guide:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-process-a-chicken-at-home

Ron did you taste bresse yet?
Not yet! These are the first ones. I might go ahead and process a couple of Pullets after the Cockerels.

I will definitely post about the process and how the Bresse taste.

I am really looking forward to finding out how they taste.

Last edited:
When I got my first chicks last year I never imagined I would want to eat my own birds. It took me awhile to eat the eggs! I was appalled when my husband suggested we eat our unwanted Roos. I gave them away instead and didn't want to know what the new owners had tended for them. Now I see the benefit of raising and eating our own birds. I just don't know if I can do it. I am willing to learn though. I wish I could have someone show me. I have a weak stomach and I'm not sure how it would go but I will never know unless I try. Anyone in the Pittsburgh area want to teach me?
I felt very much the same way. It just became a natural progression for me. I knew I wanted chickens. Then I knew I wanted to learn how to incubate.
Seeing as how I am "currently" only allowed a minimum number, I figured I better learn some population control. (also how to handle sick chickens
since I don't intend to take them to a vet) ANY who - long story longer...
wink.png
After much research, I chose the cornish cross as my first test subjects.
Only got 4 thinking there would probably be a natural loss. There wasn't. They were so cute at first but quickly become homely & stinky (at least to me)
It was easy to keep a healthy disconnect/respect knowing their intended purpose. Not sure I am able to create that same disconnect with dual purpose.
I guess since I've gotten over the first hurdle of processing my own, that will be my next hurdle if I intend to incubate. This thread and this particular group
of people were a great source of support and information. Like you, I also wanted a "teacher". However, after reading this thread and watching ALOT of videos,
I put a plan together and carried it out. After the first bird "with every step". I felt more confident AND more appreciative of the food I eat and the grace I
was taught as a child to say before meals.

droolin.gif
Our dinner picture is serving its purpose than. This chicken was soaked a bit longer in the sea salt water than some of the others. And I let it rest two full days after thawing in the fridge. Man was it loosey goosey, juicy and tender! If you are able to keep enough ice in the salt water and keep it soaking for a day or two it really makes a difference. We have brined birds(chickens or turkeys) we got from the store before but they were never this good. I hope you all get to enjoy the fruits of your labor like we are!!! I have 17 left in the freezer. One bird a week.......I am going to be sad when they are gone.

On the bird is an Smoked Applewood Rub, Salt, Black Pepper, Garlic Powder.....and at the end BBQ sauce.

Back
Top Bottom