Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

I accidently posted this to the Fermenting Feed thread. It was meant for this group:

Oh no, I have yet another excuse not to process these two cockerels! I wasn't even looking for one. I was actually looking forward to tomorrow. The excused so far have been in November and December--Fowl Pox lesions. Early Janurary--my cervical fusion surgery. This weekend--something has gone wrong with the pump/septic whatever that handles the sewage/grey water from my pool house which has an outdoor kitchen where I process the birds. Darn! Honest, I really was going to get it done this weekend.

So I am failing at finding what I want in this thread! lol search is NOT my friend today.

I thought we discussed the possibility of breeding and hatching our own MEATIES chicks, but I cant find what breeds and all that info we discussed to get a least as close to a 8-10 week to process, or maybe it wasnt here? ugggg
I am doing that with our Red Rangers. I have generation #2 and they look like the 1st. They might be a hair bigger than the parents. come spring I plan to hatch a batch for a 12- 16 week run. I might keep a couple of hens, they are great layers of large to jumbo eggs.

My meaties are 1 week 4 days old. Some weigh almost 10 oz and the smallest weighs in at 4.6. The average weight is 8.5oz. Are we on track or are they too fat? This is my first go at this

Last edited:
just finished processing cornishx,,,did a 5 week feed of fermented grain (wheat, barley, ground corn ).......live weights were from 2.13 to 3.0.....I was aiming to have a finished weight of 2.5....most came in finished between 2.0 and 2.4....

great looking game hens, will try to get some pics, but for now I was concerned about getting them chilled, took awhile to process in this cold weather (fingers did not want to work)

just finished processing cornishx,,,did a 5 week feed of fermented grain (wheat, barley, ground corn ).......live weights were from 2.13 to 3.0.....I was aiming to have a finished weight of 2.5....most came in finished between 2.0 and 2.4....

great looking game hens, will try to get some pics, but for now I was concerned about getting them chilled, took awhile to process in this cold weather (fingers did not want to work)

I process in the house!

where did you get this batch wing?

I don't envy you doing that today with the sucky weather! Even if much of it can be done inside it still involves a lot of in and out into the weather...
With a 5 week run, could you extend it to 6 weeks or add in turkey starter or something similar the last 2 weeks to bulk them up? What is your protein content in your mix?

Could the lower body weight be due to the cold temps causing the birds to expend more caloric energy to maintain body temps? Even if not outside there has to be a lot more calorie burn in a 40 degree pen than a 60 or 70 degree run in April or May.... if that is the case, would a corn supplement help them maintain more body weight despite the weather?

Quote: this was an order for small cornish game hens, the person was looking for them to be 2 to 3 pounds...pick up is monday morning so I really could not wait

I do plan on trying this again in the spring and using pasture for most of the feed...just an experiment, these will be for my own use though...

these sizes are perfect for just the 2 of us...wish I would of put more in so i would have extra to keep..

this was an order for small cornish game hens, the person was looking for them to be 2 to 3 pounds...pick up is monday morning so I really could not wait

I do plan on trying this again in the spring and using pasture for most of the feed...just an experiment, these will be for my own use though...

these sizes are perfect for just the 2 of us...wish I would of put more in so i would have extra to keep..

Glad they worked out well for you and your customer.... how is the meat to bone ratio on the smaller birds? Enough meat bulk to make a good serving? Guess the question would be, how is live weight vs butcher weight vs bone weight vs meat weight? Have you ever butchered at different ages to see how the meat to bone ratio changes as they age? I know after a certain age their rate of weight gain drastically slows.

And let me open the question to anyone else who has raised multiple sizes of meat birds... I would love to hear of anyone else experiments in the meat to bone ratio at different ages or even different feedings?

Last edited:
Quote: I butchered a CX rooster a few weeks ago-- he was about 9 months old. ( He was kept because I thought he was a pullet) THe size was very very large-- I didn't weight him but he was easily 10-14 pounds. THe amazing growth definitely slows down by 3 months old-- but it still far more than any heritage I have experienced, so I am willing to grow out a CX bigger than 8-10 weeks.

And I can fit my hand in the cavity for easier cleaning in these bigger birds.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom