Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

I am the queen of putting off processing unwanted cockerels. I've had some pretty good excuses--fowl pox, spinal surgery on me, antibiotics with a withdrawal time. I tell you, I'm the queen at putting it off.

The time has come, though, and I will process them the first nice weekend after they finish the antibiotics and the five days of withdrawal pass.

These are free ranging LF Ameraucana cockerels. They were hatched April 1, so they will be 10 months old. How do I cook their meat? How tough will it be? Can I use it in a curry, which is how we usually eat chicken. I had wanted to roast them whole, but I am sure they are much too tough.

I would appreciate information on how to cook these little darlings.

Thanks.

Same here... Mine is 20 weeks now, been putting it off for three weeks. I really wanted to find him a home, he's real pretty... But I fear time is running out. His saving grace was that he stopped crowing after I culled his brother.. started again this morning at 6:30 though. Ah, city living. No rooster crows for us. I RAN out there, snatched him off the roost and put him in the tub indoors LOL

Anyway

Anything low and slow will make a more tender bird. And cut the meat in smaller pieces, against the grain... Especially the thighs can be pretty stringy. I think a curry would work very nicely.

I roasted my 17 week old Ameraucana cockerel, to add flavor before making broth. Turned out he was tender as could be, ate him right away, using just the bones for broth.
lol.png
At 10 months I wouldn't expect similar results, but you could roast them and then cut them up for curry, letting them simmer. Roasting will always add flavor.

Same here... Mine is 20 weeks now, been putting it off for three weeks. I really wanted to find him a home, he's real pretty... But I fear time is running out. His saving grace was that he stopped crowing after I culled his brother.. started again this morning at 6:30 though. Ah, city living. No rooster crows for us. I RAN out there, snatched him off the roost and put him in the tub indoors LOL

Anyway

Anything low and slow will make a more tender bird. And cut the meat in smaller pieces, against the grain... Especially the thighs can be pretty stringy. I think a curry would work very nicely.

I roasted my 17 week old Ameraucana cockerel, to add flavor before making broth. Turned out he was tender as could be, ate him right away, using just the bones for broth.
lol.png
At 10 months I wouldn't expect similar results, but you could roast them and then cut them up for curry, letting them simmer. Roasting will always add flavor.

The breeder told me at 6 months they would be fine to roast. I'm a bit past 6 months now. They won't go to waste, but I would like to get my son to try some because I eventually want to never buy mushy chicken from a store. So many reason--more flavorful and healthy to eat, but the biggest reason is the horrible way meat chickens are treated as they are raised and go to slaughter. My son is a fussy eater and lives off curries. He won't touch my fantastic homemade soup.

I guess that mans I can skin them rather than pluck.

Thanks.

The breeder told me at 6 months they would be fine to roast. I'm a bit past 6 months now. They won't go to waste, but I would like to get my son to try some because I eventually want to never buy mushy chicken from a store. So many reason--more flavorful and healthy to eat, but the biggest reason is the horrible way meat chickens are treated as they are raised and go to slaughter. My son is a fussy eater and lives off curries. He won't touch my fantastic homemade soup.

I guess that mans I can skin them rather than pluck.

Thanks.

Yum!

That pic is making me hungry for some MEAT!!!
droolin.gif
Y'all remember that vid I posted some time back about deboning and ballontine of a bird? Thought I'd show the pic of the Thanksgiving turkey I did with that method....it was pretty much the best turkey I've ever tasted.

Oh my.... That looks so good it feels sinful to stare at it too long
lol.png

How loud are turkeys anyway? I would love to have my own Thanksgiving turkey, but I am not too sure they're city friendly.

Oh my.... That looks so good it feels sinful to stare at it too long
lol.png

How loud are turkeys anyway? I would love to have my own Thanksgiving turkey, but I am not too sure they're city friendly.

SOO... I know everybody's tolerance and patience will be different. Get a broad-breasted. seriously. I'll happily deal with dual purpose chickens for meat, but I'll never purposefully bring home any heritage turkeys ever again.

I wrote up a rant about my experience with heritage turkeys, and then deleted it. If you must try a heritage turkey, get two, don't get 15. It's a nightmare. I really don't know how people do it.

ETA: they are loud. Like I-can-hear-them-half-a-mile-away loud. The BBW was quiet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom