Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

I have the room for it but I just wondered how others liked the equipment. Also what do you use to clean /disinfect with?
I wash area down with soap and water.

I work carefully to prevent fecal matter from getting on the meat.

I depend on proper cooking techniques to roast the birds.

IMO bleach is over rated, and definitely bad for the environment.

Wash utensils well.

I don't use a plucker-- my hands are my plucker-- so how to clean a plucker is beyond me. I scrub brush and a toothbrush aroung the pluckers, and plenty of warm water. Maybe rinse with vinegar.

I wash area down with soap and water.

I work carefully to prevent fecal matter from getting on the meat.

I depend on proper cooking techniques to roast the birds.

IMO bleach is over rated, and definitely bad for the environment.

Wash utensils well.

I don't use a plucker-- my hands are my plucker-- so how to clean a plucker is beyond me. I scrub brush and a toothbrush aroung the pluckers, and plenty of warm water. Maybe rinse with vinegar.
We are having problems in the US because of anti bacterial cleaners. They have a long life and persist in things like septic tanks, killing the bacteria needed for them to work. Bleach has a short life and effect. It is gone and through killing things in an hour or so in a septic tank, not days or weeks.

If using something to sterilize surfaces, Bleach is better than an anti bacterial spray. We can't use stuff like that at my house because too many of us break out in terrible rashes when exposed to them.

I usually use (very) hot water with Dawn and a small scrub brush for cleaning most things... then spray surfaces with a mix of bleach and water, let set a few minutes and rinse, the bleach doesn't need to be very strong.

I am not a fan of 'antimicrobial' soaps and sprays, but it is a personal choice.

We are having problems in the US because of anti bacterial cleaners. They have a long life and persist in things like septic tanks, killing the bacteria needed for them to work. Bleach has a short life and effect. It is gone and through killing things in an hour or so in a septic tank, not days or weeks.

If using something to sterilize surfaces, Bleach is better than an anti bacterial spray. We can't use stuff like that at my house because too many of us break out in terrible rashes when exposed to them.

I usually use (very) hot water with Dawn and a small scrub brush for cleaning most things... then spray surfaces with a mix of bleach and water, let set a few minutes and rinse, the bleach doesn't need to be very strong.

I am not a fan of 'antimicrobial' soaps and sprays, but it is a personal choice.

Thank you both and Arielle .. :) I have septic tank so I have to be very careful how much bleach I use. I don't use anti bacterial stuff because of that. Dawn is the detergent I use since it safe for septics

Thank you both and Arielle .. :) I have septic tank so I have to be very careful how much bleach I use. I don't use anti bacterial stuff because of that. Dawn is the detergent I use since it safe for septics
You are very Smart!

I hate bleach...I have had too many shirts ruined by it and do not see much use for it. If I needed to use it, I would use Oxine--and get rid of any extra.

Amazingly we do not have a food illness problem here. Another problem with the anti microbial cleaners is genetic problems with children. Autisim has been linked to them recently as well as them being carcinogens and hormone disrupters.

They are beautiful, but the dang racket they make!  Holy crud they are LOUD!

We have some wild ones that have taken over an abandoned building in town.  Anytime my DH gets irritated with my chicken hobby, I point out that I could be hatching peafowl.  Shuts him up really quick. :lau

Ha! My neighbors said the only thing that drives them bonkers is peas. I have a batch of young roosters feeling their oats right now crowing and causing my older ones to go bananas. I need to get to about 6 so the alum rock boys choir is not so bad all day.
Dang--- I do like my peace and quiet!! HEnce Muscovy  ducks.:gig

Great minds think alike!

On bleach: I was reading up on oxine the other day and read that bleach stays on the surface of pourous surfaces like wood and only the water penatrates. That seemed bad to me.

On bleach: I was reading up on oxine the other day and read that bleach stays on the surface of pourous surfaces like wood and only the water penatrates. That seemed bad to me.
Air drying kills more germs than bleach then!

Wood is supposed to be more sanitary than plastic because of that.

Random question, anyone ever processed a white Leghorn roo? I got three from TSC, that they said were Cornish X's, they weren't! My daughter accidentally stomped one in the brooder that was the only female
barnie.gif

Left with two males. I have no use for two more roosters! I know Leghorns are skinny, but I can make stock, right?!

Random question, anyone ever processed a white Leghorn roo? I got three from TSC, that they said were Cornish X's, they weren't! My daughter accidentally stomped one in the brooder that was the only female
barnie.gif

Left with two males. I have no use for two more roosters! I know Leghorns are skinny, but I can make stock, right?!
In the "Old Days" when preachers were paid in Roosters, The Preacher could tell the quality of the Sermon by the breed of Rooster given. Leghorns was a bad sermon, RIRs was a good sermon.....

The Leghorn will not be like the cornish X but it will have nice meat--just not as much.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom