Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

We got the last bunch of meat chickens processed on Saturday. It was a very long day for my poor husband. I helped as much as I could but I'm miserable and 8 months pregnant and it was just too hot outside for me to feel like I made any difference. I gave one female a reprieve after she had spent the day dodging our hands. I felt she deserved it. Starting to regret the decision though, the other chickens aren't very nice to her.

I have 5 whole chickens resting in the fridge, 4 skinned for parting. Other half was supposed to part them but we ended up running out of time yesterday. He left for a 48 hour shift this morning. I'll have to figure something out.

Just a random addition, those horrible jelly feathers really hit my gag reflex when plucking! I've never had a sensitive gag reflex, but the little jelly "stem" left behind from some feathers really makes me feel nauseated.

These chickens were free ranged since 3 weeks, then tractored from 6 weeks because they were puny. Processed at 8 weeks and were around 3.5 to 4.2 lbs. I'm very happy with that :)

Coralietg- congrats on finishing your chickens! Sounds like it was a hard day for both of you. I hope you can put your feet up for a little bit now.

Don't worry about giving one a "pass". Sounds like you all needed a break and you can always change your mind and take care of her later.

There is definitely a unique smell to processing. I remember the first time, and I could smell it on my hands for hours. Kept washing and washing with soap.

Of course! That's probably it. I was smelling it on my hands. lol... It's gone now.

Of course! That's probably it. I was smelling it on my hands. lol... It's gone now.

I worked in a meat department for 9 years. That is a smell that sticks with you for a while.

Processing is not that bad of a smell to me.

Did you wear Nirtil gloves?

I worked in a meat department for 9 years. That is a smell that sticks with you for a while.

I'm not completely sure which they are, but I used purple medical gloves. The smell isn't horrendous, it is definitely unique though!

The only dreadful smells came with the few chickens that exploded liquid poop upon dispatching. That was pretty gross.

I envy you for having worked in a meat dept for 9 years. You actually know what you're doing! :)

I'll try to reframe the processing smell. Maybe I can make it seem to me 'not that bad' if I try hard enough.

I didn't wear gloves at all. It didn't occur to me. If I ever work up the nerve to try this again, I'll wear some.

Oh and I lied, I'm not done with meat birds. We still have 5 red rangers outside with the laying hens. Until now, I didn't really know which they are as I stupidly combined them in with similar aged New Hampshire Reds and Red Sex-Links. It's become clearer now as there is a group of 5 huskier looking red chickens that are hanging around in the coop. They still have another month of growing to do though.

We got the last bunch of meat chickens processed on Saturday. It was a very long day for my poor husband. I helped as much as I could but I'm miserable and 8 months pregnant and it was just too hot outside for me to feel like I made any difference. I gave one female a reprieve after she had spent the day dodging our hands. I felt she deserved it. Starting to regret the decision though, the other chickens aren't very nice to her.

I have 5 whole chickens resting in the fridge, 4 skinned for parting. Other half was supposed to part them but we ended up running out of time yesterday. He left for a 48 hour shift this morning. I'll have to figure something out.

Just a random addition, those horrible jelly feathers really hit my gag reflex when plucking! I've never had a sensitive gag reflex, but the little jelly "stem" left behind from some feathers really makes me feel nauseated.

These chickens were free ranged since 3 weeks, then tractored from 6 weeks because they were puny. Processed at 8 weeks and were around 3.5 to 4.2 lbs. I'm very happy with that :)

Honey, being that far along in your pregnancy I'd discount all the smells and gag reflexes. A normal you will probably not have this. You did very well. Pat yourself on the back.
hugs.gif

Honey, being that far along in your pregnancy I'd discount all the smells and gag reflexes. A normal you will probably not have this. You did very well. Pat yourself on the back.
hugs.gif

Very, very true!!!!

Coralietg... you did just fine!!! Congrats on getting it done and I hope the rest of your pregnancy treats you well, especially as we enter the heat of the summer!

Back
Top Bottom