Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Well, I've had a stroke of luck. I mentioned my coworker from Uganda who slaughtered chickens all the time back home. I'd offered her some of my roosters, but she turned them down saying roosters are tough and not very good tasting. She did coach me on how to slaughter and pluck it though.

This morning she came in and told me that she'd mentioned my chickens to her husband. She says he'd like to have one to slaughter and eat. So, I'm going to transport my last unwanted rooster to her house on Saturday, and she's agreed to slaughter it in front of me so that I can see how it should be done.

I think it would be helpful to see someone who knows what they're doing do it. Maybe with that knowledge, I'll be able to try this again sometime.

Take pictures if you can. If they are too graphic for some people, just send them to me in a private message if you want to.

Yep, you get past it though. The first time I processed, it was mostly the smell of wet chicken from the scalding.
sickbyc.gif

Whoever says wet dog stinks has never smelled wet chicken
lau.gif

My gag reflex was awful early on, hasn't been a problem since the 2nd trimester. No-one else is grossed out by the jelly feathers?! I can't even pluck the wings anymore because of the potential for that salmon coloured jelly string dangling
lol.png

I got the 5 whole chicken heat bagged up and in the freezer. I will figure out the skinless ones for parts tomorrow. I've never parted a chicken before. I've been looking at guides online, I just can't figure out how to get boneless breasts. I'm hoping it's as simple as cutting the bones out of a boned chicken breast, lol.

Check out youtube under process and cutting chickens up

I can't bring myself to kill them either Sally. I make JJ do it, then I can process them. Once it's dead it doesn't bother me. The only thing I can process still alive is fish & that's because I've been doing it since I was 7 years old. The fish can be flopping & carrying on & I just crack it across the top of the head with the knife handle to stun it & go to work. Chickens are a different story. Guess it's the blood. Fish don't really bleed. Chickens do. Maybe eventually I'll get past it. I even managed to process a roo that had a name, but he was mean & ticked me off so I was glad to see him gone. I was tired of getting bit & flogged. I have about 22 broilers & 2 turkeys out in the pen right now that we'll be processing in a couple weeks (the broilers anyway, the turkeys still have some growing to do). Bring your boys over & let JJ do the killing & I'll help you process them.
don't feel bad when i helped my grams cull her meat chickens i COULD NOT touch the chicken to be culled with out my elbow high gloves. Touching or catching any other chicken for any other reason and i'm your girl i don't care if they blow my shades off when flapping their wings in my face or the chase around the yard but i can not touch a cull chicken barehanded ever. And i still have no idea why to this day. In fact i'm going to break out my gloves when i cull my meat chickens later on this year too.

don't feel bad when i helped my grams cull her meat chickens i COULD NOT touch the chicken to be culled with out my elbow high gloves. Touching or catching any other chicken for any other reason and i'm your girl i don't care if they blow my shades off when flapping their wings in my face or the chase around the yard but i can not touch a cull chicken barehanded ever. And i still have no idea why to this day. In fact i'm going to break out my gloves when i cull my meat chickens later on this year too.

The rubber glove insulate your Electromagnetic Field generated by your body (what New Agers call an aura) from touching the electromagnetic field of the chicken. This way electrical impulses from the animal that you are going to kill don't transfer to you. You instinctively knew what you needed to do to be able to complete the task.

The rubber glove insulate your Electromagnetic Field generated by your body (what New Agers call an aura) from touching the electromagnetic field of the chicken. This way electrical impulses from the animal that you are going to kill don't transfer to you. You instinctively knew what you needed to do to be able to complete the task.
hm never thought of it that way
hu.gif

Well, I've had a stroke of luck. I mentioned my coworker from Uganda who slaughtered chickens all the time back home. I'd offered her some of my roosters, but she turned them down saying roosters are tough and not very good tasting. She did coach me on how to slaughter and pluck it though.

This morning she came in and told me that she'd mentioned my chickens to her husband. She says he'd like to have one to slaughter and eat. So, I'm going to transport my last unwanted rooster to her house on Saturday, and she's agreed to slaughter it in front of me so that I can see how it should be done.

I think it would be helpful to see someone who knows what they're doing do it. Maybe with that knowledge, I'll be able to try this again sometime.
Watching another person, then doing one myself, was the way I learned a mtheod Iw as comfortable with. However my method does not work on young birds like cornish cross. Will probably need to use a cone for those next time.

Be sure to ask questions so you compoletely understant the lesson.

-- go for it!!

Quote:
I learn best by watching too. But I didn't have anyone to show me, so YouTube was a good substitute. I was really not able to find one that was good for showing the actual cut though. They all gave a general view, but back too far to really see where to position the knife and how much pressure to apply. Had to figure that out myself and just go for it. Fortunately I was able to do it right.

Back
Top Bottom