Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

I had no idea this thread had such diverse conversation going on....nice!

We're getting ready to build a coop and get a small batch of meat chickens for me to practice poultry owning on. First timers. We won't be building the coop until September but once that happens things should move quickly~ I'm spending some time visualizing killing chickens as I'm determined to do it myself. My husband hunts so this will my my contribution. Also, since I ultimately want to have a breeding program, I want to make sure I can cull without drama.

What do y'all use for the actually cutting? A knife or razor blade or...? I keep seeing myself with slippery bloody hands and cutting my own finger or botching up the slice so that the chickens suffers.

Can you share what you use and how many chickens it's used for before needing replacement or sharpening?

Thanks
smile.png

M

Welcome to the world of processing (or at least the preparation part of it! LOL)

Personally I use a very fine bladed filet knife which we also use for cleaning fish... it is easily sharpened on a stone with just a few strokes as needed (every 2 or 3 birds, just to make sure it stays true)

there was a lot of discussion on cutting utensil preferences early in the thread.... some folks like the disposable scalpels, some folks use box cutters, others use kitchen knifes they are able to get a good edge on. The thing is... chose the utensil which is comfortable for you!! And feels right in YOUR hand! It doesn't matter if someone who has processed a thousand birds tells you the only thing you should use is a filet knife.... if that knife doesn't feel comfortable to use for you then it isn't the right tool. Pick two or three options and practice on cutting through supermarket chicken... see which one allows you to feel comfortable for grip and allows you to apply pressure the way you want.
Remember...your hands will be messy and probably a bit shaky, so pay attention to something easy to grip for yourself...

Quote:
I hadn't thought of a filet knife. You're right, of course, I need to find something that fits me and am comfortable with. I have a lovely knife with a wood handle that feels good to use but is unfortunately serrated. I think it would tear instead of slice the flesh.
I will start at the beginning and read through then....I have a terrible habit of just hopping around a thread using the "search this thread" function to glean info.

My husband is a little tired of me feeling chickens up before they get cooked, (all in the pursuit of learning!!) lol....he'll find me practicing cutting them up a refreshing change I think.

M

My first time I used a pipe cutter. DO NOT USE A PIPE CUTTER! The next time I used a hunting knife, but my edge was no where near sharp enough. This next time I'll be using a disposable scalpel. You can find them at the Co-op, or TSC may have them. Each time has been a learning process. Even if it doesn't go well, you have learned from the experience. Good luck!

Talking about the frustration of people wanting to "buy" for next to nothing your meat animals brings up one of my pet peeves. Family and friends who choose not to garden, and aren't there helping to pay the plant / seed bill, who aren't there for helping plant or care for any of the garden, who aren't there on bill day to help pay for the water bill to water you plants, who aren't even there to help pick the veggies, but sure do present themselves and invite themselves to your "free garden food"

Butchered one of the sweetgrass toms this morning-- yesterday it was 2 hours, or almost, to clean two 11 month muscovy boys, and today it was 40 minutes and done and in the oven turkey. MUCH easier to pluck than a duck.

Imeant to shut off the oven when I went on errands as I would be gone a couple hours, well totally forgot! Came hom e to that slightly burnt odor and depression set in. AA beautiful bird reduced to dog food. . . . I opened hte oven and only the drippings had smarted to smoke. THe rest of the bird was delish: crispy skin and moist leg meat. NOthing like fresh turkey in June!!

Kids promised they would help me butcher one every morning this week. THat will put 4 more in the freezer-- lots of room there these days.

Butchered one of the sweetgrass toms this morning-- yesterday it was 2 hours, or almost, to clean two 11 month muscovy boys, and today it was 40 minutes and done and in the oven turkey. MUCH easier to pluck than a duck.

Imeant to shut off the oven when I went on errands as I would be gone a couple hours, well totally forgot! Came hom e to that slightly burnt odor and depression set in. AA beautiful bird reduced to dog food. . . . I opened hte oven and only the drippings had smarted to smoke. THe rest of the bird was delish: crispy skin and moist leg meat. NOthing like fresh turkey in

Kids promised they would help me butcher one every morning this week. THat will put 4 more in the freezer-- lots of room there these days.

southern momma-- use what is SHARP. Only a very shapr knife /blade will get the job done cleanly-- meaning the fewest number of strokes. Nothing more horrifying than the process dragged out; as tortorous for me as for the bird.

I use a scalpel because the blade is sharp-- I can do a number of birds.

ALso, the hand holding hte blad does not get slippery with blood; it stays clean. I"m not sure you have an accurate pic of the amt of blood. I hold hte bird over a bucket, and yes I do get splattered and tthen I pray no one has decided to pay a visit!! I look like a mass murderer, or the victim of. lol THere is not much blood after that. My blade hand is clean and dry all the time.

WHen you have the knife in hand, pay 100% attention to the blade at ALL times = avoid accidental injuries to yourself. Safety first.

Imeant to shut off the oven when I went on errands as I would be gone a couple hours, well totally forgot! Came hom e to that slightly burnt odor and depression set in. AA beautiful bird reduced to dog food. . . . I opened hte oven and only the drippings had smarted to smoke. THe rest of the bird was delish: crispy skin and moist leg meat. NOthing like fresh turkey in June!!

Sounds DELISH!!!!!

I have an adult Tom I need to process also. I cant wait to eat him, he is 2 years old exactly. The last heritage Tom we had was about 9 months old, very tasty but Im really excited to try a mature turkey.

Back
Top Bottom