Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Thanks. I'm going to try making Coq au Vin.

How long should let them rest? Five days?

My hands are so sore and tired. I had carpal tunnel release surgery on both a month ago and processing three cockerels took their toll on them. I can barely type.
Rest for two days or until rigor is gone.

After that you can freeze and the thaw when ready if not cooking it then.

brining can help keep them tender too.

Yay Linda! I have a source of lots of raw goats milk in exchange for eggs.. good for us!

I'm going to talk with my bf tonight about going to the caponizing clinic in oct.

Only 8 bresse are shipping
sad.png
not 12.
If you make it to the clinic I will see you there!

I plan to butcher this coming weekend. I hope to do 6 but this is the first time doing it all myself. Anyone have any tips on dry plucking? I don't want to go through all of the trouble with heating water!

I planned to cull two cockerels this weekend and I got brave and culled three. I HATE killing anything. This morning I crated the three rapists that were terrorizing my few free range laying hens. I left two others that had been exhibiting courting behaviors (even though they would join in the chase with the three rudest cockerels). My yard was so much more peaceful today. If I had any doubts about culling, the peace today dispelled them. I hope the two I have left are nice tempered so I can finally cull the nasty rooster I have. If they aren't, they go in the pot, too. I have another three cockerels that are almost four months old, so surely there are two nice birds I can replace the nasty bird with.

I didn't think about it and I didn't plan it. I knew I wanted to do two cuts, one on each carotid artery. I've only had the courage to cut one side before and I don't like it. While one carotid artery bleeds, the other pumps blood into the brain so they take longer to die. I managed to just do it. I used a lot more force on the cut than I've ever used and did both sides. I was much happier with how they died.

Cleaning them was a bit of a challenge because I had carpal tunnel release surgery on both hands four weeks ago. They were older than I would have liked--7.5 months. They sure weren't as hard to clean as the 11 month old cockerels I did last February.

I skinned them as I've done with all the birds I've done. One day I'll pluck them.

How tough will these birds be? They were Ameraucanas from an exhibition breeder, very slow to mature. Only two of the four pullets the same age are laying.

I'm not a happy girl tonight. I can't get rid of that smell even though I've showered and scrubbed.
Good to know about the bleeding out. I've heard that some people did better with dipping and plucking on older birds than using their strength to skin. Besides losing all the goodness of the skin. I've only done one and by myself I beheaded with shears and then skinned it. I can see how hard it is to skin. My bird was only 5 mo old.
big_smile.png

@jajeanpierre
I am with you on the smell, I have a very sensitive nose and I can't take that smell. Gojo helps, but then you are stuck with that smell! The smell is the one thing I am dreading on Sun, but I have two CX that are beyond ready, and a few Rangers that are getting aggressive.

As far as the bleeding out, I will never go back to the chop method. Even with a few minutes, they go so much easier and less violent. My first butchering experience was with my Father and he used the chop method, the only way he knew. We were covered in blood by the end of it, not to mention exhausted. I will never go through that again!

@jajeanpierre
I am with you on the smell, I have a very sensitive nose and I can't take that smell. Gojo helps, but then you are stuck with that smell! The smell is the one thing I am dreading on Sun, but I have two CX that are beyond ready, and a few Rangers that are getting aggressive.

As far as the bleeding out, I will never go back to the chop method. Even with a few minutes, they go so much easier and less violent. My first butchering experience was with my Father and he used the chop method, the only way he knew. We were covered in blood by the end of it, not to mention exhausted. I will never go through that again!

I don't know what that smell is. amd I've been trying to figure it out. It isn't a bad smell and it isn't strong--it just grows and grows and sticks in my nose until I wake up the next morning. I thought maybe it was the smell of the entrails, but now I'm not so sure. This morning when I hosed down the area (again) that I had bled them out, I could smell it and it took forever for me to stop smelling it. It isn't the smell of blood, either. It's not the smell of dirty wet feathers because I have only skinned my birds.

@jajeanpierre

Vicks Vapor Rub. In the nostrils. Cuts the smells totally. I learned this on CSI.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom