Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

I have a cx that I think may have acidosis?

It's only 5-6 weeks old :( and I got my batch of 10 cx at 2 weeks old and gave them ff and with held food after they were 3 weeks old to only 4 feedings a day to not have these issues.
this was 2 days ago.

We have processed before, but it is always hard. I don't want this meat on this chicken to go to waste :)

I have my bourbon on standby.

Not sure I would butcher and eat a bird with unknown illness. At that size it's barely worth the work, I'd imagine. Sometimes you just gotta cut your losses.

Maybe it'll perk up
fl.gif

Just completed processing my first backyard meat rabbit. It definitely did not go as quickly as the people on youtube are able to do it. I wanted to be home alone when I processed the first one. It took me about an hour from start to finish (including clean up). I started in my back yard but cleaned and dressed it out in my kitchen because we live in an HOA neighborhood and didn't want the neighbors in the two story house behind me watching. No one else I know is into working to raise their own food in my neighborhood. I learned a lot from the process and know what I will do differently for the others I still have to process. This one was 14 weeks and weighed about 6 lbs live weight. After dressing him out, the carcass weighed 3 lbs (bone in). There was more meat available than on the cornish cross I did last year. They were definitely not worth the effort in my opinion. (and almost no offensive stink this time!!) I'm glad I have a place to come and just share the experience. My family is starting to come home now and I'll be sharing the story with them next. Peace

The females are easier to skin and go a lot faster. I don't know if you hung it to skin, but if not try it next time it works so much easier for me to pull the skin off while it is hung from hind feet. I do it in my bathtub, easy clean up w/ the shower head. (my shower head has a flexible hose)

Wow, what a great idea. Have you created something to hang it from that is strong enough to handle the pulling? I didn't hang it and my arm strength (or lack there of) made it take longer. I couldn't figure out a way to hang it over the kitchen sink.

My husband anchored hook in the ceiling in a 2/4 joist

Then he cut a piece of pvc about 18ish inches long drilled 2 holes about the width of the spread rabbit legs, strung a rope through the two drilled holes tied a slip knot on each end for the feet, strung a chain through the whole pipe and hook the links into the hook in the ceiling when using when not using it stores in a space the size of a pvc piece of pipe, the hook stays in the ceiling all the time.

Your welcome, here is a picture. I measured the pvc it is 22 inches and the holes are 6.5 inches apart.

There are just 2 rope leg catchers the extra pair is a shadow.

I processed two cockerels today. I will process thee each over the next two weekends.

I need to get the sanity back! I bet it will be better already with those two gone.

Back
Top Bottom