Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

No, they come on when you plug them in and turn off when you unplug them. They MIGHT have something to turn them off if they get out of the water and get hot enough to start a fire, but I wouldn't count on it.

Well, let's figure out how to put a thermostat on it, sell it, and become millionaires! :D
Keeping the scalding temp right was the most aggravating thing.

It would be easy enough to do that. They make thermostats you can plug things into. Just put the probe in the water, set the temp, plug the heater in, and it will essentially plug and unplug the heater as needed. Would be best to have something stiring the water to provide even heating and an insulated water container to slow the temp fluxuations

well its been a few days after we butchered are meat chickens, it was a long 12 hour day to butcher 36 of them, they averaged out to 6.3 lbs per bird so very happy now this weekend its time to dig it and try one out. :)

I dispatched the other two muscovies today. I tried to just slit the first ones throat while hanging upside down. It took him so long to bleed out and never lost consciousness. I thought if I slit the other side of his throat he would bleed out faster. I ended up cutting his trachea. It was awful. For the next one I tried the broomstick method but I wasn't able to cull him that way. I hung him up by his legs and got the big tree branch clippers or loppers as we call them at home. One quick motion and it was over. He died instantly and humanely. I wish I would have used the loppers for the previous ducks. I guess its just part of the learning process....

I dispatched the other two muscovies today.  I tried to just slit the first ones throat while hanging upside down.  It took him so long to bleed out and never lost consciousness.  I thought if I slit the other side of his throat he would bleed out faster.  I ended up cutting his trachea.  It was awful. For the next one I tried the broomstick method but I wasn't able to cull him that way.  I hung him up by his legs and got the big tree branch clippers or loppers as we call them at home.  One quick motion and it was over.  He died instantly and humanely.  I wish I would have used the loppers for the previous ducks.  I guess its just part of the learning process....

We did 23 this passed weekend. On a couple we didn't dispatch very well and it really bothered me. It was our first time and I ended up cutting both sides and "pithing" quickly. It was over in seconds. I swear the birds seemed to know it was "D" day. They usually dash out of the tractor to graze but that they laid quietly in groups.

I dispatched the other two muscovies today. I tried to just slit the first ones throat while hanging upside down. It took him so long to bleed out and never lost consciousness. I thought if I slit the other side of his throat he would bleed out faster. I ended up cutting his trachea. It was awful. For the next one I tried the broomstick method but I wasn't able to cull him that way. I hung him up by his legs and got the big tree branch clippers or loppers as we call them at home. One quick motion and it was over. He died instantly and humanely. I wish I would have used the loppers for the previous ducks. I guess its just part of the learning process....
what we did was take a knife and poke and twist in there brain then bleed them out, we thought it was more peaceful for the birds i think we tried bleeding them out just slitting the throat.

what we did was take a knife and poke and twist in there brain then bleed them out, we thought it was more peaceful for the birds i think we tried bleeding them out just slitting the throat.
Thanks!

It is called pithing. I might try this one time.

I found this:

Quote:

We processed our extra tom today since it's supposedly the last nice day that were going to have. He dressed out apps 16 lbs. He's going to be our Christmas turkey and hopefully we'll be some good eating :)

Today we processed our last 8 CX, plus a 6 month old heritage bird. It's a relief to be done, although I'm still a bit sad. I always get a bit teary-eyed on the night before as I give the birds their last dinner and get them in the coop for the night. It's such a weird transition to go from being their care-taker, to being their predator. They were all big beautiful birds, between 6 1/2 and 9 1/2 dressed. I enjoy raising them and eating them, but I wish there was a way to fast-forward thru the butchering part!

I processed two boys today that were suppose to be Cornish cross girls. Anyway I keep naked necks, and every time I process a non naked neck I say "never again" I will be glad when my breeding program is finished w/ non NN, and I don't have to process any more.

Back
Top Bottom