Processing ducks different from chickens?

Quote:
Thanks for posting this. I was so ignorant, I wondered if I was doing the right thing by cutting off the tail (people told me it their favorite part of the chicken) and the wings. I did cut off the wings right at the "elbow" and figured/hoped it was a good compromise since there isn't much meat anyway on the wings.

There sure wasn't much left after I got done trimming and I wondered if I was doing the right thing. Now I feel less guilty. Thanks!

Quote:
Other than plucking the down dry we do a lot of this the same wing cuts and tail. For ducks, i you get the head clear off they will bleed out much quicker.

Quote:
How do you do that when they're still alive? Sorry, that sounds like a dumb question. I think I mean, what do you use to take their head off?

Last edited:
A pair of long handled pruners will do the job. Ducks have more muscle in their necks than do chickens, so whatever you use make sure it's sharp or you will be sawing at it for a bit.
tongue.png

We also used to dunk water fowl in melted wax after plucking then peel the cooled hardened wax off to remove all the pin feathers. If I remember correctly, removing the down made a huge difference before hot water dunking and machine plucking as was suggested earlier...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom