processing insights

Good luck! It seems like you really have it planned and are working to make it efficient and professional. If you were near me I would buy from you.
Hopefully I will eventually dress my own. I went to Clark last weekend and found an Amish family that does it. I have plans to take my few birds to them this weekend.
Good Luck

Sunny side up.........
I bought plastic child playpen sections at a second hand store. They snap together so you can add as many as you want. They come in handy for lots of things. They are easy to move and corral the birds. I don't know who makes them but if you would like a picture, let me know.

I have a question on those poultry shrink wrap bags.

I am processing on Sunday and should have the bags by then. Do I let the birds "cool" down before wrapping them or can I just wrap?

Quote:
ours sat in ice water (standard pink water clear water treatment) for hr+ before we bag. i dont know why you wouldnt put them through the pink water-clear water cycle before package.

remember ice usage is ~ 1 lb per bird. pink water uses more ice because you have to do the initial cool down of the bird after processing.

oh another note on the shrink bags. they didnt include any kind of instructions with our order so we had to go to the website and print them out. ie, water temp ~180deg procedure with pokeing the hole, we did at the feet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom