Processing Layers vs. Meat Birds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jennyf, Feb 17, 2017.

1. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    The local processor charges twice as much to process a layer as opposed to a meat bird. Like around $4 as opposed to around $2. Curious, why would that be? Are they more difficult to process or is there some other difference? Of course I could just call and ask her but you all are so much more accessible. [​IMG]

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Maybe several reasons----one being the amount of birds. Most of the time people that have meat birds have a lot of them----layer just a few. Younger birds might be easier to clean? That's what I am thinking----when you find out let us know----I am curious. LOL

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd call them and ask.

Off the top of my head..if you're using "meat bird" to mean Cornish Cross....

They're faster and easier to pluck. Less feathers per square inch of body.

The body cavities are larger, easier to get your hand in there and pull out the innards.

Folks with Cx usually have more to do at a time. Folks with layers usually have only a few birds, unless it's a big operation.

Other than that, I'm not sure why. I don't process many layers myself, I usually sell them off before it reaches that point. But the folks that do process them don't seem to have particular issues, from what I've read.

1 person likes this.
  4. cottontail farm

cottontail farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2014
    Rural NW Pa
    Donrae has some excellent points. I process my own layers and it's not hard at all. If you only have one or a couple to do - totally try it yourself. Otherwise I think it's worth loading them in the car and driving to my local place.

5. seanengler

seanengler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Central Coast, CA
    The only processor within 200 miles of my house charges $6.50 a bird with a 100 bird minimum! I would love to pay $4 much less $2 lol. As far as why, my guess is what everyone else has stated, the ease of processing a meat bird. Can't wait to have all of our own processing equipment this fall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by