Processing question/feet

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bowhunter40, Dec 23, 2010.

1. bowhunter40

bowhunter40 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2010
    Hi folks,

at what point during the processing of the carcass do you find it's best to remove the feet? They are nice to hold onto the carcass but..
    I'm thinking about what they've been walking through alll day before we butcher. Thanks!

2. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    we leave em on until we eviscerate and take off the head/neck (after all the feathers are off). they are really nice to hold on to if hand plucking.

as far as them getting in the scalding water.. i don't actually dunk the feet all the way in unless i'm peeling off the "socks" to use for stock (which rarely happens since they make such great dog treats).

Edited to add that what I meant above (but apparently wasn't understood) was that we take them off before we eviscerate (hence the "until we...") and after we scald.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  3. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    After plucking (when they do make good handles for plucking and dunking) but before evisceration (when they just get in the way).

4. quercus21

quercus21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Tivoli, NY
    Quote:I am in agreement with Buster. After scalding, but before evisceration.

5. bowhunter40

bowhunter40 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2010
    Quote:I am in agreement with Buster. After scalding, but before evisceration.

Thanks everyone. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by