Processing question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Countrywife, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    Ok, just got them, so we are a bit of time out. But trying to get it all together. I am curious, I keep reading about brining them, got it, large unused metal trash can, iced salt water, and then to the fridge to age.

questions: how long are they to stay in the ice water brine and HOW am I supposed to put 25 in the fridge? Is there an alternative way or do I have to tell the husband we now need a fridge in the barn for the aging of chickens?

2. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I do mine in lightly salted ice water for 24 hours. Then I take them out, package them, and put them in the fridge for another 24 hours. If you're keeping them in the fridge, your only alternatives are to clean out your fridge or buy a second one. Otherwise, you'd probably be fine to just take them right from the ice water to the freezer. Keep in mind, salted ice water is not a "brine." Brining is heavy salt that will change the flavor of your birds. (I only keep saying this so that people won't think they have to brine their birds and then follow a brine recipe that leaves them with salty birds that they didn't want.)

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It is up to you if you want to soak or not. We just process and freeze. When thawing, give an extra day or two to let it all rest.

4. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    Well, that combination works. Soak in the ice/salt water for 24 hours and then freeze. Then, pull it from the freezer a day earlier than store chicken and let age in the fridge. I like that idea. The soaking is for letting the blood all out, isn't it? Jaku- you are my new info source:lol: Thank you so much for being around for us new ones

5. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

No problem! Yes, the soaking helps seep any extra blood out, and it also rapid-cools the birds as opposed to air cooling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by