1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Processing seramas?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Poultrybonkers, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Has anyone ever processed seramas? Because ill be processing one roo since hes to dumb to move around and his feet froze twice he was the only one to hatch out of 16 eggs person I got em from was breeding siblings together probably why. I find seramas to be a useless breed. Ill stick to my standard breeds as they have more of a purpose. :) wont even get serama eggs again. Waste of money and time. :/

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    If you look into how people process pigeons and quail, I would guess the same would apply to Seramas. Aren't they just pet or show birds? Ornamentals? Not "useful" like utility birds, unless you're the sort who likes to eat tiny eggs and tiny birds.

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I have. I breed them, and do not believe in selling culls. Besides, there arent enough homes for roos. They arent useless, they are wonderful layers and broodies. Their eggs are teeny, but they eat 1\4 of what a big bird eats and take up much less room to produce those eggs, so i guess its all in how you look at it. I process and cook the same as quail. FYI, if you do decide to try them ever again, they arent cold tolerant. A clean dry draft free coop will help prevent frozen feet too, but if its as cold where you are as here they need a heat source.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by