Processing Silkie Roos

So we processed the 8 silkie Roosters today. Dry pluck was pretty difficult. After dipping in boiling water for a minute they plucked extremely easily. The feathers were very sticky so I was shaking my gloves a lot. The bonus was no pin feathers at all and just two had some fine hairs. Everything went really well and went a lot quicker than processing our Cornish cross chickens.
How was gutting them, did your hand fit in there?
Curious too, how old were they(sorry, maybe I missed that part)?

How was gutting them, did your hand fit in there?
Curious too, how old were they(sorry, maybe I missed that part)?
They were 6 months old. My husband has huge hands but he gutted them nicely, while I was plucking. He is used to cleaning pheasants and quail. He doesn't try to shove his whole hand in, he said he just uses his fingers. :)

:frow

Would make a neat Halloween dish! I just did my first Svart Hona roo and he was the wildest proccessing ive done of a hundred or so, even the lungs had a black marbling to them. Ive done many many quail and yes the fingers are the key :gig strong fingernails help! Knowing where everything troublesome is located like the lungs helps too. Spatchcocking like i saw someone mention is the simplest way to be sure its all gone. I skin all my birds so not much help with plucking but glad to hear you accomplished the job! Is anyone there balking on the eating them? Wish i couldve shown my teen and DH this thread before i cooked him cuz they refused to touch it :rolleyes: he was delicious though!

Thanks for this thread! So glad that I found it last night while wondering what to do about the silkies I processed today. Scalded and plucked like the other two banty roosters and didn't lose the fat I would have if I'd skinned them as I was anticipating!

Back
Top Bottom