Processing The Runt - Should I Eat Him?

and for future reference, this is what you are looking for (one of my runts I just culled, 4.96# live weight, 3.52# processed). "Small Barred" died for science - and my table.

Disrobed, organs still in place (though I've carefully cut around so that all the internals will come out at once, using the inner cavity wall as a guide) - you can see some subcutaneous fat at the keel, along the edge of the thigh, etc - plus a small amount around the organs. Good yellow color from diet. No large masses of fat or hard fatty clumps -
View attachment 2833441

Yup, its a boy! (My main Breeders were starting to chase this guy around to keep him from the hens - he's still not fully mature, but definitely starting to get his hormones. Late development and small size are why he was selected for culling). Insides still need some scooping after a cold water flush.
View attachment 2833459

Heart liver and gizzard, removed. Note the small line of fat on the heart and gizzard, this is what you want to see. A heart wrapped in fat is a slowly dying, overweight bird. Now look at the liver - its not huge, its got good color, and the color is completely uniform - no pale sections, extremely dark sections, or mottling.
View attachment 2833473

Ready to wet age in yellow curry powder, garlic, onion, salt, and a bit of yogurt.

View attachment 2833478
Hope this helps!!!

You need to make this into an article that people can reference in the future.

and for future reference, this is what you are looking for (one of my runts I just culled, 4.96# live weight, 3.52# processed). "Small Barred" died for science - and my table.

Disrobed, organs still in place (though I've carefully cut around so that all the internals will come out at once, using the inner cavity wall as a guide) - you can see some subcutaneous fat at the keel, along the edge of the thigh, etc - plus a small amount around the organs. Good yellow color from diet. No large masses of fat or hard fatty clumps -
View attachment 2833441

Yup, its a boy! (My main Breeders were starting to chase this guy around to keep him from the hens - he's still not fully mature, but definitely starting to get his hormones. Late development and small size are why he was selected for culling). Insides still need some scooping after a cold water flush.
View attachment 2833459

Heart liver and gizzard, removed. Note the small line of fat on the heart and gizzard, this is what you want to see. A heart wrapped in fat is a slowly dying, overweight bird. Now look at the liver - its not huge, its got good color, and the color is completely uniform - no pale sections, extremely dark sections, or mottling. Also firm and glossy.
View attachment 2833473

Ready to wet age in yellow curry powder, garlic, onion, salt, and a bit of yogurt.

View attachment 2833478
Hope this helps!!!
Holy cow! Very helpful, thank you! Yes, you should definitely make an article out of these pics. I’ve watched a few videos but the ones I’ve seen haven’t really showed such close-up anatomy after the cuts are made. Mine didn’t look like this so maybe I cut through too many membranes (outside of coiled intestine was visible) but helpful to see that the yellow in the abdomen is fat, was definitely wondering about that.

1658184459395.png

This is roughly the proportions you want to see, too. If the heart has a fat layer on it (the yellow ribbon near the top) that looks like the fat on the pictured gizzard, that's not good. If the liver is the size of the gizzard, again, not good. White or butter yellow splotchy marks in the liver, not good. If you open up the body cavity and find a chalky or worse, white grit-like substance on the surface of the liver (and maybe also the intestines), not good.

Explain about the crop. You slice open the skin on the neck and find the crop off to the side a bit and you loosen it, pull it away from the skin.

So do you pull it out of the cavity, and cut it off there, or do you just loosen it and pull it through the cavity? Sometimes I do one, and sometimes the other. But what is correct?

Mrs K

Explain about the crop. You slice open the skin on the neck and find the crop off to the side a bit and you loosen it, pull it away from the skin.

So do you pull it out of the cavity, and cut it off there, or do you just loosen it and pull it through the cavity? Sometimes I do one, and sometimes the other. But what is correct?

Mrs K
I haven't a clue which is "correct". I loosen at the front and cut, pulling it and most of the other structures attached along the clean free at the same time. is it the best way? no idea. i've not done it the other way.

Adding one more picture, because I've been using this post for more than its original intent of late. There is a very thin layer of connective tissue covering the lungs and kidneys which helps hold them in place up against the spine, and out of the main organ cavity. That's what looks like saran wrap on top of the lungs and kidneys, labeled below.

If you find only a single sex organ, you have a hen - which should be readily evident by a collection of bright yellow yolks of various sizes in various stages of egg development, most tiny and closely clustered together, but its not unusual to find several larger ones in a tube structure. My flock considers those yolks a particular treat while I'm butchering.

1660139427895.png

Back
Top Bottom