Producing my own fiber rabbits...

PineBurrowPeeps

Eye see you...
11 Years
May 17, 2008
Here, there, and everywhere...
Okay, here is my delimma. I own a gorgeous French Angora registered buck rabbit. He was given to me by someone who bought him from a breeder two years ago for fiber arts but lost interest and didn't groom him for about a year! When I got him he was matted to the skin and in horrible shape, he needed to be shaved down completely. He was a very expensive bunny when she bought him and comes from nice show winning stock.
I have been trying to find a doe to breed him with since I got him as I am a spinner of fiber and would love to have a couple more angora rabbits.
NO one in this area seems to have any angora bunnies for sale or even owns them. There is a ton in the rabbit "rescue" but they are all spayed and nuetered and the rescue won't adopt them to a farm because they thing owning rabbits for anything other than a family pet is "cruel"
roll.png

We seem to have lots of meat rabbits around here, I have also seen some dutch bunnies, flemish giants, etc.
I am thinking that over a couple of generations I could have something wothy of spinning. It doesn't have to be great and I know it would be a ton of work but is it possible at all to get useable fiber out of a cross?
We also have lots of lion heads around here. What about those?

Quote:
first off you have a large buck, Lion head would have to be a doe and the size of the kits would likely only produce 1 kit. not a good choice .
There is a woman in RI who breeds angora for their wool, she also has some that come out excellent as show rabbits, I will call my friend who got her Satin Angoras from her and I will Pm you her information.

If you are breeding in another breed, please think first, you have to have an outlet for those cross bred bunnys. French Lop would be the choice rabbit to breed in, but it would be better if you can find a french lop who has angora in the back ground.
that way you are starting out with 3/4 angora and would be closer to your spinning goal but again please be sure you have homes for those babys.
unfortunately most times they end up in someones show line and mess up the breed.
I know I have had french with angora in the back ground and there is nothing more frustrating than getting a litter of 8 french with long fur that disqualifys them from being shown.
I will get back to you in a few as to who the lady breeding spinners is.

Oh and to be completely frank and honest, I was planning to eat any unwanted babies I produce.
I love that the French anogra is a great meat rabbit too, so I was planning to basically raise and process any buck babies for meat and the not so great does keeping the nice does.

Quote:
Right they are not the same person,

I had forgotten my friend Nicole had a litter on the ground. she reminded me just before I Pm'd you.
she does have nice rabbits with great wool from very top name breeders of show quality and woolers.

Back
Top Bottom