production after the first year

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ebonykawai, Jan 15, 2008.

1. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm wondering how production slacks off after the first 'round' of egg laying. Has anyone had their hens for 3 years or more, and if so, how much less do they lay per year (on a weekly basis). For instance, hens laying 5 eggs a week the first year, 4 a week the second year, etc.

Thanks for any input!

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I've had my black star (black sex-link) for 3 years and she's still a regular layer. She lays nearly every day unless we've slacked off on the feed during the winter (a regular argument between me and my partner).

3. ebonykawai

Wow, really? That's great! I'm reading Storey's "How to Raise Chickens" and it makes it sound so bleak! Like keeping a hen after the first year is stupid or something. [​IMG]

I want REALITY, dangit, LOL!

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I think that book (not that it's a bad one, because there's some great tips in there about raising chicks and what not) is largely based on commercial chickens that aren't kept past their second year, if that long. I know their raising turkey's book is just about worthless if you want to raise heritage turkeys.

However, egg production will eventually drop off as the hens get older. Some breeds are better at being layers than others.

5. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Storey's is a great resource.. but I agree. It's not really directed at someone who'll keep their hens 'til they drop dead off the perch.. [​IMG] If you notice, she has like 10 pages about egg layers.. and 720 pages on how to slaughter your birds..

Ok.. maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration.. [​IMG]

And really it's a GREAT book. LOTS and LOTS of info. It's the first book I started with, and I'm not sorry. Great overview on chicken raising. Lots of info on feed and housing. And some info on disease. A good general resource.

I suppose to some extent feed cost vs. egg laying must go down beyond the first year...

But hey.. I'm not ONLY in it for the eggs. So that's ok. I'm just happy to have a pet that pays SOMETHING for herself.. (rather than the cats who've let mice live in the house.. and the poor old dog who's hearing is going, and he doesn't notice we have a visitor until they are ALREADY IN THE DOOR)

6. Gonzo the Great

Gonzo the Great Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    Sugar Land, TX
    After their laying slows down to unacceptable levels, there are other uses for your hens .

7. ebonykawai

AHAHAHAHA!!!!! I KNEW you were going to post something like that!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by