Production is down...Updated!!!!!

pierce652

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 16, 2008
Ive been keeping track of how many eggs we get per day since we got the chickens. We have 5 hens of laying age and the norm was 3 to 4 eggs a day. Over the past week we have only gotten 1 to 2 per day with yesterday being the exception of getting 3.

Do they slow down in the hot weather? Only other changes was to thier food last week but I have been mixing the two brands together.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Yes, they slow down in hot weather. I'm currently only getting one egg a day, if I'm lucky.
roll.png
If I knew who the layer was, I'd kiss her.
lol.png

Last week we were into the 110-115 range, with smoke hanging in the air from all the California fires. i think i got two eggs all week from 12 laying hens. i felt lucky at that, as i totally expected scrambled or hard boiled to come out of their vents.

Another thing that might be happening is that the hens are laying in a different place. When the egg production drops off I usually end up finding a hidden nest with a dozen eggs in it.

Thanks all...I covered the top of the run with a tarp to try and afford them some shade.

I know there are no hidden nests because they dont free range due to hawks, racoons, fox, fishers and coyotes here.

Since covering the run and adding a block of ice to the water every morning before work The egg count is up past normal. Almost everyday so far we have had 4 eggs from 5 laying hens. I really think that is proof enough that the overall comfort of the hens will yield results. they are easy enough. Pour water into a container at night and dump ice in in the am.

Overall they are much happier. Even my wife, who didnt want chickens, says that next year we will have to plant some bushes around one side since the sun still creeps in during early afternoon.

Why is it although everyone loves the girls Im still the only one scooping the poop...kinda like the dog and two cats...I see a pattern here...

Ohhhhh...Im a sucker....
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom