Production Red Chickens

Not quite the same.  The production red is red and the high laying attributes of the Leghorn, the bird of choice that is typically mixed into them, is back enough generations that the bird looks to be a dusty, orange brown, yet still reddish, both males and females.  This is also what most hatcheries sell as Rhode Island Reds.  They are not shaped correctly (no brick shape) and lack the deep, mahogany color that a true bred, RIR should have.

The Red Sex Link is a different thing.  This is a red/gold male used over a silver/white female.  This produces chicks that can be sexed at hatch.  The females are reddish, with some white feathers while the males are white.

Both production reds and Red Sex Links are notoriously good layers.  

Hi Fred! Thanks again for your help! I was wondering what you meant by RIR having a brick shape? I only ask because my roo is getting what I would say is a pretty "box-ey" shape when viewed from the top... he is also getting darker as days go by. I have no doubt now that mine are, indeed, PR - im just curious :)

Think of a rectangle. A Rock should look like a soup tureen or gravy boat. A Red when viewed from the side, should have a long, long back line and body should form a brick or rectangle. The tail should be set very, very low and the color should look slick and such a dark red that is it almost look black cherry in color. The legs should be set in the middle of the bird, a rare leg set among the the breeds. The neck should be placed on the front axis in a RIR unique position. The front line should be continuous and make the bird look extremely deep.

When viewed from the top, they should almost as thick at the tail as they are at the shoulders.

I've got a cockerel out of this cock bird. LOL

Here are some nice examples.

This is a pullet from the same line as we have. Do you see her red brick shape? A rectangle.

Please understand that we kept production reds for years. Here are some photos and one can easily see the difference. Bodies are V shaped, not bricks, color is wrong, feathering is wrong, tails are pinched, not nice wide tents on the hens when viewed from the rear, legs are not set right, chests are straight angled downward making for a shallow look bird, tail set it sky high, etc. They just are what they are.

Here's the likely bird that got bred into the RIR early in the last century, during the egg laying contest days. The true RIR was only laying 200 egg per year. I say "only" but remember this was when other breeds were only laying 120 eggs per year. How did these supposed RIR's that suddenly laid 260-280 eggs per year arise to win those old contests? Yeah. You just mix, most likely, in a dose of dark Brown Leghorn and you make a supposed RIR that now lays like a machine but has enough RIR to cover up the Leghorn. Well, sort of cover it up. LOL

This is neither new or breaking news.

Honestly? When I look at the features of most hatchery grade production reds sold as Rhode Island Reds I can still see the influence in body type, combs, flat front chests, short backs, high positioned tails, etc. It's still there.

Not a blessed thing wrong with a production red. Awesome egg layers. They just aren't Rhode Island Reds.

Last edited:
Good to know. Thank you for clearing that up for me. I will say it again, I am still new to raising chickens but with the help of the BYC community and its awesome members I can honestly say that what knowledge of chicken I do have, has come entirely from yall! So thanks a million!!!

Some day when I know enough I would love to raise some heritage breeds since I have yet to find any breeders in my area. But that's in the very, very distant future!

Here are my production reds. Hopefully both pullets. 5 weeks old

Here are my production reds. Hopefully both pullets. 5 weeks old

Watch the combs and wattles. Repeat. Watch for the early development of red combs and wattles. If these secondary sex characteristics sprout and turn red within the next 3 weeks? They'll be cockerels. Pullets don't show these signs until they are more mature.

Back
Top Bottom