Production Red vs. Rhode Island Red

I think production reds make more eggs, but have a foul disposition.
hu.gif
I dunno

Bump.

Production Reds are RIRxNew Hampshire Reds. They are very good layers.They might edge out the RIR by alittle in laying ability. In my opinion, both can be a little tempermental.But i woulnd't let that keep you from getting them.You want them for egg production,not pets.

I vote True Rhode Island Reds.. You cant go wrong with a Red.

A Rhode Island Red crossed with a New Hampshire isn't a Production Red.

With the more common Single Comb Rhode Island Red you get variations and other breeds..
Production Reds, "Hatchery" Reds, New Hampshire, Sex-Linked etc. Now from those variations and breeds you can get more variations and breeds....
The New Hampshire, "Hatchery" Rhode Island Reds and Production Reds where developed solely (no other breed added) from the Rhode Island Red. Now there are some people say that there is a variation of the Production Red breed that has Leghorn blood added to it.....

Chris

I have 3 RIR hens that are going on 12 months old and are just now laying good. I have 4 Production Red pullets that are 6, going on 7 months old and not laying yet. I really can't tell them apart other than the RIRs have big red combs, and are possibly a bit darker in color but not much. Personality wise, my RIRs are mean and bosey, and one of them always jumps up at me which is pretty annoying. I have too many chickens and need to cut back as I have several more "teenage" pullets that will be going into the big coop soon so some of the hens need to go. I am not sure if I should let go of the RIRs or the Productions. The Amish use Productions so I figure they must be good. But I also thought mine should have been laying by now. (they hatched in JUNE) They are all from Ideal.

wjallen05-

A lot of the RIR that you get from hatcheries will have a mean and bossy attitude. You will find that the RIR's (SQ/Exhibition quality) that you get from a good breeder will be more docile.

Most of the Amish around here (NE Ohio) just use a "mixed" flock of what they can get cheap..
The one Amish family I know has a flock of about 200 Cochin/ RIR crosses.

Chris

Yes, we have recently had an Amish community relocate to around our neighborhood. It has really surprised me that they also look for the cheapest, most productive sex links that they can find. They order huge numbers from the hatcheries throughout the spring and summer. I would have thought that they would be interested in dual purpose breeds that naturally go broody. I mean, since they don't use electricity, they cannot reliably incubate. As stocked up and prepared as they are in other areas, you would think they would want a flock that they could perpetuate on their own. I asked some that we are friends with about this. He just sort of shrugged and said he figured they could always get them from the hatchery.

matte- wow. That is very suprising. I don't even do that and I'm not Amish! I have several different breeds and purposly have many "broody" breed hens for the soul purpose of being able to hatch out chicks naturally, if need be.

Back
Top Bottom