Production Red?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DawnM, Sep 13, 2010.

1. DawnM

DawnM Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Tacoma, Wa
    I got this girl when she was about 8 weeks old. We replaced a bird that was supposed to be a pullet but ended up being a rooster. When we got her, she was larger than the rest of the girls who were 10 weeks old and her feet were huge. For a while I wasn't even sure she was a girl at all but then she started laying eggs. Yesterday we went to the Puyallup Fair and were looking at the chickens and the Jersey Giants were smaller than her. She weighs 8 pounds now and is only about 6 months old. I'm including this picture because she is right next to our Buff Orpington who is the second biggest of our birds.
    I'm pretty sure she has Rhode Island Red in her but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what other breeds she may be. The lady that sold her to us said she was a Cherry Egger type of Production Red. Thanks in advance for everyones help, Dawn.

[​IMG]

There is a video on YouTube too, she's the big light red one. Will probably be easier to see her this way, the batteries for my good camera died:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    She sure is a pretty bird. My guess is that she is a large New Hampshire Red.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    She could be anything. [​IMG] A production red, a new hampshire. . . . Hatcheries have bred their "red" breeds and hybrids to the sad point that they all look the same.

Either way, she's a lovely bird.

4. DawnM

DawnM Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Tacoma, Wa
    Normally I wouldn't care what breed she is but she's just so big. We have a black star and I just consider her a mutt except she's average size compared to the other girls. Seeing the Jersey Giant chickens at the fair just made me think this one was super sized. She's not a hatchery chick but her parents may have been. I got her from a breeder at the Chehalis Agricultural Market. My daughter picked her out because she was the prettiest pullet there. The lady seemed to care more about breeding good egg layers than breeding for looks. She is an excellent layer, we get a big egg every day from her. She also eats a lot more but her egg size makes up for that. I should have gotten her name so I could go back next year and get a few more or recommend her to others. Thanks for the info, Dawn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by