Production Reds?

homesteader34

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 30, 2007
North Carolina
Since im basically new at the chicken stuff, im lost. I have been trying to find out more info about my babies. I called where I got them at he said they are"Productin Reds". I see everyone talking about Rhode Island chicks..When i key it in the search section , it come up to the Rhode Island ones. Are they the same? I know they have brown eggs, but thats about all. I am a reader. I like to research stuff and know exactly what to expect out of my chickens. I am going totaly organic with them and my garden, so trying to find info on feed and other stuff as they grow. Ilooke din the book section , but under construction I think. I just want a site or book telling me step by step for my breed I guess... plus did I get a good breed? I got for meat and eggs. But since I cant see myself killing one of these(since im attached-stated in another post), they are just going to be eggs. Maybe im just looking in wrong areas.. help.. someone please..lol

Production reds are basically Rhode island reds that are geared more towards making eggs. They aren't as deep in color and are not very "show quality" of birds. No non cornish x will produce meat like a cornish cross though but they will make ok fryers at like 12 weeks.

They probably won't win if you take them to a show, as silkiechicken says, but they will make plenty of eggs for you to eat!

Back
Top Bottom