Profit with Turkeys for Thanksgiving?

According to the industry's own web site, somewhere around 50% of industrial chicken is raised using antibiotics. I believe turkey is very dependent on antibiotics.
https://www.nationalchickencouncil.org/questions-answers-antibiotics-chicken-production/
50% is a long ways from "all". As a person that has raised turkeys for a long time without the use of medicated feeds or antibiotics, I think your opinion about turkeys being dependent on antibiotics is wrong. Most of the possible turkey issues cannot be treated with any available medications and still sold as food.

So do you mean vaccinations as chicks for them? No, we haven’t done that.
No, the medicine that treats coccidiosis is not an antibiotic, vaccination is a different process.
Consumers who eat chicken are concerned that farmers who raise chickens are over-using antibiotics that work for humans when raising chickens. This makes the germs resistant to medicine, so that when you get sick, the medicine does not work.

50% is a long ways from "all". As a person that has raised turkeys for a long time without the use of medicated feeds or antibiotics, I think your opinion about turkeys being dependent on antibiotics is wrong. Most of the possible turkey issues cannot be treated with any available medications and still sold as food.
I absolutely agree with you that your turkeys do not need any antibiotics. The turkeys sold in the grocery store do.

Which does, vaccinating my birds will make them more valuable or treating when it comes to it?
Sorry for all the questions
Your birds are raised in a completely different way from the birds in the grocery store. That is what makes them more valuable and worth more when you sell them. Here is a photo from the site I referenced above, how store chickens are raised.
1596742579069.png

Compare that with your photo. Which bird do you want? That is why your birds should cost more in the market. You will loose money if you try to compete with the big guys on price. Your birds are naturally healthy. You do not even know how to get antibiotics for them. Do what you do, and let people know. They want to eat your birds! @R2elk 's turkeys are so far from the turkey in the store, listen to him on raising home-grown heritage turkey, for sure! As an eater, I rarely eat store turkey, and I want to eat yours -- & and his!

Your birds are raised in a completely different way from the birds in the grocery store. That is what makes them more valuable and worth more when you sell them. Here is a photo from the site I referenced above, how store chickens are raised.
View attachment 2279137
Compare that with your photo. Which bird do you want? That is why your birds should cost more in the market. You will loose money if you try to compete with the big guys on price. Your birds are naturally healthy. You do not even know how to get antibiotics for them. Do what you do, and let people know. They want to eat your birds! @R2elk 's turkeys are so far from the turkey in the store, listen to him on raising home-grown heritage turkey, for sure! As an eater, I rarely eat store turkey, and I want to eat yours -- & and his!
Okay thank you.
Yes, I’ve done tons of research about the meat and laying industries. They’re just awful. 😞
I see what you’re saying now. Though Loretta won’t be eaten, I would want to raise more of her breed for meat. She would be massive if I fed her freely. I feed her 1/4 a cup of feed x2 a day and let her excel use a lot to keep her healthy. But with meat birds, I’ll treat them the same way (except feed freely) and take care of them.

Okay thank you.
Yes, I’ve done tons of research about the meat and laying industries. They’re just awful. 😞
I see what you’re saying now. Though Loretta won’t be eaten, I would want to raise more of her breed for meat. She would be massive if I fed her freely. I feed her 1/4 a cup of feed x2 a day and let her excel use a lot to keep her healthy. But with meat birds, I’ll treat them the same way (except feed freely) and take care of them.
That photo is the very best one they could take, LOL! Any bird you raise is much healthier.

That photo is the very best one they could take, LOL! Any bird you raise is much healthier.

Yes, that is a very clean and uncrowded chicken house.

The poultry industry is actually becoming very aware of how the industry is perceived and thus is going away from antibiotics, decreasing density levels, and instating stricter requirements for animal welfare.

The difference that we highlight to sell our farms products is the birds being on grass and being fed an organic diet of high quality feed grains that are locally sourced. Not saying that no antibiotics and the fact that you aren't raising them by the hundreds of thousands isn't something to point out to your potential customers, but the big guys are already on top of that niche and are doing a pretty good job of it if I dare say it and as evidenced by that picture that @Parront shared.

Joel Salatin's Pastured Poultry Profits is a great suggestion. I consider it my poultry bible. Have read through it several times. He is a great resource.

Back
Top Bottom