Project Gojira A Giant Silkie Naked Neck Project

Update... no chicks yet... but based on breeds we did have we decided not to include CornishX in future plans.

Cochin and Brahman still may be good... but several other breeds are being considered as we like tall birds.

We have ordered Saipans so we shall see how they will work for us.

The direction this project of Big Chickens will go is very up in the air. I am sure Silkies will be added back into the flock as well. Not sure if we will actually get Naked Necks yet. But Giant Silkie type birds are still being planned.

Okay we have Naked Necks ordered now... this means the only starting genetics we are missing in theory is the Silkie feather genes.
So I will need to get a few Silkie chicks.

So here is what I am thinking... there are a couple ways we can go with the project.

The largest breeds ordered should be the Saipan, Marans and Naked Necks. The other standard breeds I am expecting to be lighter Smaller breeds... and bantams even smaller. We will also have to see which breeds that are SR have roosters. We know the Egyptian Foyoumi will have a rooster as we specifically ordered a cock chick.

It will be a bit before chucks start arriving.

First two batches of chicks arrived... no Saipans as ordered or Silkies... grumble. We will start working towards this anyway with the chicks that did arrive. Figuring out of the birds in the orders will be best to use.

Also of the first two batches of chicks... the first company's chicks arrived all dead. They are reshipping but obviously I am worried for those chicks. the second order of chicks came from a different hatchery, all are supper happy and appear healthy.

A791C13D-38E4-458A-A03F-60CBFC7CEED9.jpeg
One of the Sumatra chicks… the big Cackle order is doing great, but the My Pet Chicken order arrived dead, the replacement order arrived alive but 5of the 6 chicks refused to eat or drink despite efforts and died. Now we wait for the August Meyers order.

Update… the replacement shipment of chicks arrived alive, but 5 of the 6 refused to eat or drink and died. Only one survived a white sport Cream Legbar. The lone chick I started ingratiating with smallest older chicks last week, this went well. Poor thing has been so lonely while it grew. So this weekend we put all the chicks together and moved outside to the back porch area. All are doing well.

We are waiting on another order this month. Then I will have a better idea on direction of the chicken project. I doubt we will have any large birds. Marans and Naked Necks that should be in this last order should be the largest breeds.

So current breeds… to work with

Black Swedish (hens)… largest of my mature birds
Phoenix (hens)

Phoenix (bantams… chicks gender ?)
Sumatra (standard, gender?)
Yokohama (standard, gender?)
Olive Egger Cream Legbar x Welsummer (standard, gender suppose to be pullets)
Sport White Cream Legbar (standard, suppose to be pullet)

Anticipated Arrivals

Naked Necks (Pullets, standard)
Legbar x (Pullets, standard)
Cream Legbar (Pullets, standard)
Marans French (Pullet, standard)
Easter Egger (bantam, gender?)
Egyptian Fayoumi (standard, Pullets and 1 rooster)
D’Uccles (bantam, gender?)

Anyway we will see how the project develops… obviously size wise I need some bigger breeds if trying to breed for size. Such a bummer no Saipans.

So many things to decide trait wise… and it will all be based on how the birds mature and my rooster choices as to which chicks turn out to be male.

The idea of breeding D’Uccle looking green-blue Eggers is appealing too.

Anyway this is where I am at, raising chicks, waiting on more chicks… then figuring out which birds to use for breeding. Probably will end up with a couple of breeding plans… one for long tails and one for the big chicken project.

Well the Naked Necks for the project baby pictures… Not sure how the genetics long term will work out but the Naked Neck Gene is one of the genetic traits we want.

9939C25A-42E8-4DF5-8558-F623F9F3881D.jpeg

CA9369E8-F28F-4D23-92E8-4598481EE74B.jpeg

23A939EA-E352-4070-8F52-8D47486F6A1E.jpeg

D7C2C6DB-AE6F-4EF3-885E-4E61F7C95B6F.jpeg

So it will be interesting to see how these chicks mature…

Well checking out the older and younger chicks today… I am happy to report some of the Cackle chicks have small crests… my big ugly chicken breeding pool maybe moving towards a more ”laying” bird… the Crested chicks are definitely the biggest so far. I definitely would like the birds to have height.

Amongst the smaller younger chicks the Marans, Cream Crested Legbar mixes and Egyptians Fayoumi are the biggest.

Back
Top Bottom