Prolapse help *PICS NOW* GRAPHIC***

andisgarden

Songster
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
I have read the other threads regarding prolapse and so far I am at a loss. She laid an egg yesterday that was larger then usual and it was bloody. Today I noticed she had caking on her bum so I took a look and it was a grape sized prolapse. I have cleaned her by soaking her in epsom salt bath with warm water. She is eating and drinking. I fed her chick crumbles with plain yogurt and I have added acv to her water. I also used a triple antibiotic ointment with a good heap of honey and have pushed the prolapse back in.

I went to check her again in 30 min an it's out again. So I used just honey and put it back in. I checked on her again in 1 hr and its out again. It is clean, bright pink with a red bloody string hanging about 1 inch.

Please advise me. She is only 6 1/2 months a golden comet.

Thanks,

Andrea

BTW she is in isolation in the garage in a clean warm bed.

IMG00111.jpg

IMG00113.jpg

IMG00109.jpg

Last edited:
Andi's, I have read on here to use preperation H on it. I don't have any experiance to help you. I am sure someone will come along that knows more than me.'

Good luck.

Thanks, I don't have any but they said that the honey is suppose to work. I just read a new thread that said use numbing teeth gel to make her not push it out. I just happen to have some of that so I will check her and use that if it's out.

Andrea

I haven't had this problem yet thank goodness but I have read up on it just in case. What I've learned is: Keep the hen isolated until this is healed because the others will pick at the red tissue and can pull out her oviduct and intestines. Keep the exposed tissue clean and as moist as possible (I'd say K-Y jelly but you know our fertility doctor also told us that olive oil can be used in place of K-Y, I wonder what others on the forum would say. I can't think of why it would hurt). The preparation H is recommended to be used to reduce the swelling and should be used until the tissues are back to normal. They also say that you may have to push the tissue back in repeatedly. One place says that a vet may have to put in some retention sutures if the oviduct won't stay in place.

This actually doesn't sound too bad for a prolapse. I think you have a shot.

First, you've figured out the cause of the prolapse. That's half the battle. A too large egg, but well formed.

The rest of the battle is reducing the inflammation of the prolapse, returning it to its normal place (after thorough cleansing) and then keeping it there.

First off, when you cleanse the prolapse, do so with *cool*, NOT warm water. Cool (but not very cold) water helps cool the tissues and helps with inflammation. You will want to cleanse gently but thoroughly.

You will want to get preparation H (which is a vasoconstrictor) and, for this one time, antibiotic ointment WITH pain killer and one thing without.

In normal applications, we should absolutely never use a pain-killer agent in our antiseptics on birds. However, your hen is/should be isolated and she cannot groom her vent. Hens (or even male birds) can and will prolapse if they feel there is something irritating their internal vent. They push to expel the source of the irritation (even if there is no foreign material there), pushing the vent out.

Inflammation in itself is enough to cause pushing.

You will cleanse the vent thoroughly with cool water. You will use neosporin with pain killer on the inside of the vent almost to the edge. You will use the preparation H on the same areas and on the exterior vent. Push the vent back in. You will want to watch her and repeat this as often as necessary.

The pain killer helps numb the vent, allowing the chicken to not feel as if she needs to push. The vasoconstrictor constricts the blood vessels and decreases the tissue inflammation allowing the vent not to push out.

It might take 3 days of this. That's ok. Just keep her in a clean dry cage.

Build her immunity with yogurt (for gut bacteria), and regular vitamins like polyvisol. Make sure she always has food and clean water. And don't give up yet. It takes a while for inflammation to go down.

If you feel it's necessary, you can give her an aspirin solution according to the recommendation by MSU:http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html

ASPIRIN SOLUTION

Used as a general treatment for reducing distress conditions of birds (fever or listlessness) that accompanies many diseases.

Dissolve five (5 grain) aspirin tablets in one gallon of water.

Offer this solution free-choice to the birds for the duration of an illness. The solution aspirin equivalent to 25 grains/gallon or 324 mg/gallon of drinking water. The dosage rate is about 25 mg/lb body weight per day.

Friends on another forum who've had dealings with prolapse give their hens Calciboost, which is a liquid calcium. If you can't find it locally you can search for it and order it from the internet. They also give it to any of their birds that lay soft-shelled eggs. Good luck with your hen.

Thank you for your response 3horses. I have cleaned the wound using a spray wound cleanser, then made sure it was fully debrided. However this proved to be difficult as a scab formed overnight. I left part of the scab because I was afraid I would do more harm then good. I got prep H with the pain reliever in it. She seemed to not try to push it out like in times past. I cleaned her up gave her some more yogurt and crumbles, she eats and drinks great. Her poop looks normal formed and she is perky.

I will see how it goes, my whole family is just sick because this is one of the most social outgoing chickens we have. She is always the first to get treats and follows us around everywhere.

Thanks again,

Andrea

She laid another egg this morning. I have her in a dark garage with very little light just enough for her to see to get food etc. It did not turn her cycle off. Of course this caused the prolapse to come out again and started her bleeding a little bit. I cleaned her again, put ointment on, used a little teeth gel to numb her bottom and put prep H on it. She is still energetic, eating and drinking well. I have included a pic of my interventions as well as her giant egg that she laid today.

Andrea

Dang it - I'm sorry she laid another egg and exacerbated her condition. But if she's still eating and drinking and perky, maybe she will heal under your continued ministrations. I wish there was something safe you could give her to make her stop laying.

Quote:
You're not going to turn her cycle off in a night, unfortunately. You just have to repeat this for probably at least three days. Interesting about the huge egg. Just keep doing what you're doing and let's hope that the vent gets larger or the egg smaller. Please let us know what happens tomorrow again.

Back
Top Bottom