Prolapse in a coturnix

CliftonQuail

Songster
Feb 2, 2023
Central Texas
I just wanted to post that I appreciate this forum. I had read about prolapse and some of the treatments for it. Someone suggested giving Calcium Citrate with Vitamin D-3 to a chicken with prolapse so I had ordered some and had it on hand when I saw signs of prolapse in one of my coturnix. It didn't seem all that bad, but her insides were definitely hanging out of her vent a bit. I broke up one of the calcium pills and force fed it to her, then I used an Epsom salt bath to clean up her vent. Even though I give oyster shell and also provide BSFL as treats, I also broke up a few more of the calcium pills and added them to the feed for the rest of the birds. I figured it couldn't hurt. The very next day, I couldn't even tell which bird had been prolapsed. I wish I'd thought to throw a band on her leg during the treatment, but it didn't occur to me.

They all seem to be doing fine, but I'm not sure I would have had the calcium on hand, or known that it might help if not for reading this forum. Thanks to all that share their knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom