Prolapse in my Wyandotte hen

CariLynn

Songster
9 Years
Aug 23, 2010
State of confusion
While treating for mites this morning when we let all the hens out when we were done with them I noticed my one Wyandotte hen, Cordelia was straining and squatting while she walked. I went to her, picked her up as my husband said it looked like something was hanging out her bottom, sure enough, she has a prolapse! We brought her in the house, cleaned her vent gently with warm water, noticed she had a med. large lump of poo partially out so got that out and then after cutting a few of the feathers away for easier access, then applied a bit of preparation H to her. She is now downstairs in the kennel with plenty of water and a bit of food, in a cool semi dark area of our basement where the door is for light.

What else should I look for? She seems bright eyed and bushy tailed for the most part.

Sounds good so far. When my hen was prolapsing The thing that helped her the most was a 30 min bath in warm/hot (not enough to burn her) and make sure the warm water is on her vent, and when she was in the tub I would push the prolapse back in her and she wouldent push it out, until 10 mins later. I did that for 1 week straight and then 1 day after bath she kept it in for the whole day, the next day it was out so I gave her another bath, after that she kept it in, I think it took my hen 2 weeks for her total recovery. And I kept her in a cage a week after she was going better, then I had to put her in a cage in the coop so the flock would except her.

Thanks all! I will take it day by day then the dear husband has to take over while I am on vacation...But he knows what to do and knows that Cordelia is special. Her and two other hens, Lil Bit (with a slightly twisted lower beak) and Bonnie, all came from disgusting over crowding conditions. To get them out, I talked the lady down on her price, but she still took $35 for each hen...yea I know, crazy but I wanted to get them out, just wish I could of gotten them all out!!

Back
Top Bottom