Prolapse / intestine

Livvy1980

Hatching
Dec 13, 2022
Please help. Our chicken has a prolapse which looks to have intestine coming out.
I have tried to push back in after a sugar bath, but after she had pooped approx 1 hour later, it has come out again.
I have tried hemaroid cream and Vaseline.
I initially isolated her but she just stood and wouldn’t eat. She is our roosters main girl, so she was greeting for him.
I let her out today and she followed him everywhere, scratching thru the garden and eating and drinking.
She appears normal in herself otherwise.
Approx 7cm is hanging out. I will attach a photo.
Any advice is appreciated. I do know that she should be isolated and kept in a dark cage to prevent her from laying, but she hasn’t been laying and I’m worried being on her own will be even worse for her :(

Attachments

• 8E5B11B3-4042-4552-818B-2C5BD6EB66BB.jpeg
    8E5B11B3-4042-4552-818B-2C5BD6EB66BB.jpeg
    478.5 KB · Views: 57
I’m pretty sure the rounded bit at the end is the “cloaca” and what ever is connected to that part (6-7cm)?

You sure that's part of her intestines? It looks extremely thin... I'd imagine it would be a lot thicker and messier. Is it definitely made out of flesh?

It looked like an umbilical cord type material, but it was firm.
I have just let the chickens out and she ran out and it is gone 😱

It looked like an umbilical cord type material, but it was firm.
I have just let the chickens out and she ran out and it is gone 😱
I've never dealt with a prolapse myself but it didn't look like one to me, Looks more like she might have swallowed a string or something and it's just covered in poo and was stuck? Just keep an eye on her for now, glad it's gone

Back
Top Bottom