Prolapse Question

arfarmer

In the Brooder
May 8, 2021
Hello! Yesterday my husband saw that one of our hens had a prolapse. She was removed from the flock, given a soak/cleaned up, and the prolapse was put back in. She seems to be recovering ok, but she has been oozing/leaking a watery/poopy substance since. She hasn’t had a regular poop since. When I was putting the prolapse in, a substantial amount of poop was removed (almost seemed impacted). I am planning on giving her another bath today and will apply vetericyn again at that time. Is it normal for this to happen after putting the prolapse back in?

She laid an egg and then prolapsed, the egg was normal, intact, and had a normal shell, so I don’t think it is a lash egg.

She has always had a poopy butt, but I thought it was because she refuses to Roost at night and will only sleep on top of our nesting boxes, so she sits in her own poop all night 🙄

She might have another egg following and could be egg bound. Can you lubricate a clean or gloved finger, and insert it 2 inches into the vent to feel for a stuck egg or impacted droppings? A human calcium tablet with vitamin D could help if she is egg bound. If the prolapse comes back out, not if she is pooping, but always keep the prolapsed red tissue moist with honey or some vaseline.

Thank you. I gave her a calcium tablet. I tried feeling inside, but couldn’t feel anything strange. Hopefully she is on the mend..

I just went through this with my hen - what worked best for me was cleaning up her vent and prolapse gently using a baby wipe, then spraying vetericyn and gently pushing the prolapse back in. I used neosporin as a lubricant (figuring if there was any infection going on, that could help), and rubbed hydrocortisone cream on the vent after the prolapse was back in. Mine laid 6 eggs with a continuual prolapse, had some gross discharge (you're welcome to check my post history for the thread, I'm not sure how to link it), but she's been in the clear now for a week with no further prolapse, after being inside for 2 weeks.
Oh, and I was doubling up on the calcium. Crushed up tums and every day I gave her the liquid part of two Calcium + D3 tablets on top of her food.

Good luck and I hope your hen gets through this quickly and easily.

Sorry, I am just seeing this now. I’ll definitely save this for future reference. I ended up getting it back in, but she unfortunately didn’t make it through the night. Not sure what went wrong.

Back
Top Bottom