prolapse rectum

thumbsup.gif

Glad she's doing better and you were able to figure out what was going on. I'd add prolapsed rectum to the title, I think you're right and it could help someone down the line to have this thread come up in a search.

Quote:
Thanks Kittymomma, I changed everything so someone with this will not run into the problem I did. I knew what prolapse looked like but anything else I had no idea. I was on the computer doing search after search trying to find something that looked like her vent. I just hope it helps someone else and they won't have to go through what I did.

Thanks again,
Tracy

Haven't been on here in a long time,but so glad you changed the title cuz it's helped me emmensely as I discovered one of my hens yesterday with this problem. Now I know how to care for her...thank you so much. I've already separated her from the rest now I'll get the epson salt and start caring for her properly. Thanx again.

Quote:
I am glad it helped. If you need any more feel free to ask and I will do what I can.
Good luck!
hugs.gif

One question...did you push the rectum back in immediately or did you soak and treat her for a couple days first?
We gave her a sitz bath and used the witch hazel on her today and my daughter will do it again tonight after school...should she try to push it back in tonight? I don't want to wait to long but I also want to make sure all is clean and healthy too. Never done this beofre and want to do it properly.
hmm.png

It took me a while, about a week to find out what was wrong with her. (a lot of searches) so all week I was soaking her. But if she looks clean after a bath I don't see why you can't push it back and see what happens. If fact you might be better doing that because the time I figured out what was wrong she had a harder time to poo.

hugs.gif

Okay, great! Thank you so much for your info.
I read another article that said to use medicated vaseline to push it back in...did you use something like that as well?

Quote:
I didn't use vaseline, I haven't read about that one. so I dunno

She really went through a lot of treatments but nothing worked, I thought reg. prolapse, soaked in epson salt and pasted her with honey. That didn't show any improvement. Then I couldn't find any pictures of vent gleet at the time so I just treated her as if she had that. soaked the same, but started adding dawn to clean her better. Then I was using monastat-7. That didn't work. Then I found a site saying about the rectum, I didn't have prep-h so I used tucks pads with extra witch hazel added. I soaked her yet again while the tucks pads were soaking in the witch hazel. after soak I gently wiped the area, the with my finger dead center of the pad, I used it to push in her rectum, and held the pad inside for about 5 minutes. The rectum just stayed in at that point, but then I had a problem she wasn't pooping, or barely eating. so that is when I flushed the vent with oil (mineral or veggie oil) still no poop, I then fished around in her vent until I could get some poop out and gave her the oil mix in her water, that night she was doing everything herself.

I hope this helps you more! Any more questions just ask.

Tracy

WOW!!!
Very helpful, thanx. I will pass this info along to my daughter as she is the one that will be performing the task. This is her pre-vet experience and well, I'm just a big ol 'chicken' myself so I'm not doing it
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom