Prolapse vent and eggbound

BladeDuck

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 10, 2011
Hi all, its been a while! I have a Khaki that has had a prolapse vent for nearly two years now. I tried everything short of taking her to a vet when it first showed up. I put her back with the other ducks and decided I would let her be and deal with additional probelms as they came. I figured she wouldn't make it past that first summer's fly season because of infection. But on she waddled... Fast forward to today she's egg bound. She's struggled getting eggs out since last week when she started laying again. I'm getting an egg every 2-3 days from her. She was in pain when I opened up the coup this morning. I brought her inside to a luke warm tub and got her cleaned up. She's torn a little already. So I let her relax for half an hour. I can feel the egg and see it when she tries to push it out. I lubricated her all up and put her back outside.

What is the next step for getting the egg out? Reach in and pull the egg out??

I don't know, is it time to just put her down?

Give her calcium orally and place her in a warm, steamy room for *several* hours. Can you go to Tractor Supply and get some liquid calcium gluconate. You'll find it in the cattle section and will need a needle and syringe to get it out of the bottle. Dose is 0.2ml per pound and you can give it orally from the syringe ( remove needle, of course :D). If you can't go to Tractor Supply, you can give regular human calcium or tums - dose is 45mg per pound.

This is the least invasive thing to try, and it's what I would do first.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I don't. What does the calcium do? I will check my local CAL Ranch and IFA today. She still hasn't passed the egg.

Of course calcium is also needed to make shell, but they can deplete their bodies of it making that shell, so try the liquid calcium and several hours in a warm, steamy room.

-Kathy

Would it be better to administer SQ? I have given lots of dogs and cats vaccines, but never a bird.

She still poops, its verrry liquid runny what comes out though. She's also eating and drinking and moving around with the rest of the ducks. I haven't seen her trying to get the egg out today but I can still feel it.

Back
Top Bottom