Prolapse vs egg bound

tracynchester

Hatching
Sep 19, 2019
Chester, VA
Hello Everyone! I want to thank you for all the suggestions for helping my Plymouth Rock with this condition. We are on week 2 on soaking multiple times a day, honey, Pep H, calcium, electrolytes and confinement during the day time hours (meaning I go out before sunrise and bring her in and before sunset put her in with her sister). I only have the 2 girls so I let them sleep together at night. I just don't know what else to do for her. She eats very good and her colors on the crown and waffle are vibrantly red. But when she grunts the mass (which looks health and not dry) comes out for about a 1 min and goes back in. If facing the vent it does feel hard to the right side but nothing sticking out strangely. I am xray tech so I was thinking about doing an xray to see if I could see anything strange but What should I be looking for would be my next question.
Any other suggestions are welcomed because Shirley (chicken) and I are at our wits end. Oh and I have called multiple vets in my area and surrounding area and NO ONE is chicken friendly. So I am her obgyn...lol
Oh I am adding that last month she had fly strike so I am not sure that might have damaged her in some sort. I caught it a few days in but got her cleaned up quickly.

Last edited:
Hi, I am so sorry to hear about your sick bird. My African Grey parrot was eggbound & I took her to the vet. Vet's x-ray showed very clearly the large egg about to be laid, along with the whole ovary with it's future eggs all lined up. The completely formed & finished egg was very bright and clearly defined, with future eggs smaller and still egg-shaped but not as well defined since they had no calcium shell yet. The vet was looking for other, less well defined masses out side the ovary that would have been bad news. My bird was suffering from dehydration in spite of my efforts to keep her drinking. The vet finally resorted to anesthesia and was able to manipulate the egg out, after a day of "wait and see" that produced no egg. A very expensive learning experience, but I have had past chickens die from egg-binding so I took my parrot to the vet ASAP. I wish you all the best. I wrote an article about Dylan the parrots experience.

Back
Top Bottom