PROLAPSE

BLACKCATFARM

Songster
Feb 8, 2018
MY RHODE ISLAND HAD A PROLAPSED CLOACA WITH HER EGG STUCK. I WAS ABLE TO GENTLY BREAK THE EGG AND GET EVERYTHING BACK INSIDE. THIS WAS 2 AND A HALF DAYS AGO. HER VENT AREA IS STILL VERY SWOLLEN. I'M PRESUMING THIS IS NORMAL THAT THE TISSUE IS STILL SWOLLEN AND VERY TENDER LOOKING. PLEASE REPLY WITH ANY OF YOUR OWN OBSERVATIONS AND SUGGESTIONS. I APPRECIATE IT.

A VET IS NOT AN OPTION. I WAS LOOKING AT HER VENT THIS MORNING AND IT LOOKS BETTER. I WAS JUST CURIOUS IF THERE IS ANYONE OUT THERE THAT HAS DEALT WITH THIS THAT CAN GIVE ANY ADVICE ON WHAT TO EXPECT. THANKS!

It might help to soak her in some warm Epsom salts water daily, then apply some hydrocortisone cream or hemorrhoid cream to the vent to help the swelling. Since low calcium levels and dehydration can be a cause of egg binding, she might also benefit from giving her a human calcium tablet such as Caltrate once a day for 3 days, and giving her fluids. Sometimes they will eat watery chicken feed to get more water. Pictures of her vent would be helpful.

It might help to soak her in some warm Epsom salts water daily, then apply some hydrocortisone cream or hemorrhoid cream to the vent to help the swelling. Since low calcium levels and dehydration can be a cause of egg binding, she might also benefit from giving her a human calcium tablet such as Caltrate once a day for 3 days, and giving her fluids. Sometimes they will eat watery chicken feed to get more water. Pictures of her vent would be helpful.
HI, THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE ADVICE! HAVE YOU EVER COMPARED THE HYDROCORTISONE CREAM TO WITCH HAZEL? I TRY TO KEEP THINGS AS NATURAL AS POSSIBLE. SHE'S VERY ACTIVE, BUT HER VENT AREA IS STILL A BIT SWOLLEN.

HI, THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE ADVICE! HAVE YOU EVER COMPARED THE HYDROCORTISONE CREAM TO WITCH HAZEL? I TRY TO KEEP THINGS AS NATURAL AS POSSIBLE. SHE'S VERY ACTIVE, BUT HER VENT AREA IS STILL A BIT SWOLLEN.
Witch Hazel can be drying.
You can use organic or Manuka honey on a prolapse to help keep it moist and reduce swelling.

"Natural" doesn't mean good. If this was a natural situation, your hen would be dead now, due to not having a human to help. Also, keep in mind that arsenic is a rock, it's about as natural as you get, but it's deadly.
If you must use something "natural", honey is a good alternative. But there's a reason we invent the unnatural stuff.

Back
Top Bottom