Prolapse?

Talullah

Chirping
May 5, 2020
Livermore, CA
I have an EE that has always had issues with laying soft shelled eggs. Last week she passed a weird, solid mass that I thought might be salpingitis but I took her to the avian vet and they said she was okay. She has since laid one normal egg. This morning she came out of the nest box with some goo hanging out of her cloaca. I went to clean her up and it seems that whatever is hanging out of her is still attached so I didn't want to pull on it or exacerbate a potential problem. Does this look like a prolapse (my guess given the red) or is it egg matter?

Thanks so much for any insights

IMG_3850.jpg

It is probably another soft egg covered by a membrane. I would gently try to remove it. The other chickens will peck at it if they get the chance. Offer her a human calcium citrate tablet with vitamin D or Tums orally once a day for the next week. Walmart sells the generic for under $9. That may help.

Thanks for weighing-in. I gave her an epsom salt bath and 1/2 a Tums (hopefully the flavored ones are okay for hens?). I took another pic while I was washing her and will check in with my avian vet tomorrow. She's straining to pass whatever it is. I'm going to keep an eye on her and will put her by herself for the time being.

Attachments

• IMG_3857.jpg
    IMG_3857.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 3
Make sure that the Tums has at least 300 mg of calcium. If you have vitamin D, that can also be given. Will the membrane come out if you gently pull it? Let us know how she gets along.

Back
Top Bottom